PART 5

I went to bed early that night. Because the other Runners quit this morning, me and Minho have to run the Maze everyday, without any days off until we find some new Runners. And after everything they have witnessed with Ben, I doubted that anyone would sign up for this job very soon.

It was late again when Newt showed up in our room, lying in bed next to me. I turned around to face him, then half climbed on top of his body. He slightly laughed while I was trying to find a comfortable position. My eyes were closed, being already half asleep. I put my head on his chest and my right arm around his neck, pulling him closer to me. Newt gently stroked my hair and kissed my forehead, then rested his arm around my waist.

"Good night, love", he whispered, being careful not to fully waken me up.

"'Night...", I mumbled with my nose in his shirt so I could fill my nostrils with his scent.

A couple of minutes later, I heard his lightly snores and I knew he already felt asleep. He was so tired lately, my poor man. He was working his ass of to keep this Glade glued together that he barely had time for himself; not to mention our relationship. Every muscle of my body was craving him and suddenly I was very aware of my unsatisfied needs. I just growled and went back to sleep.

The next morning I found myself alone again. I was feeling a bit lazy, so I decided to skip the breakfast and just stay in bed for a little longer. My mind wandered about the Glade's lack of Runners and how we were going to find some new ones. Newt said that we should give them some time and then just "maybe" they would come back. I seriously doubted that.

After awhile I got up from bed and started to get ready for today's run. I put my hair in a messy bun and my watch at my left wrist, then headed to the Glade. The others were already up and ready for their daily routine.

As I approached the Eastern Doors of the Maze, I saw Newt talking to Minho and Thomas. My heartbeat raised at the sight of my boyfriend, eager to feel his arms around me again. I smiled and started a slow jog towards them. They saw me and smiled, waving from the distance. As I got closer, I saw three backpacks near Newt's left leg.

"What's with these?", I asked when I've finally reached them, pointing towards the backpacks.

"Thomas decided that he wants to be a Runner," Minho said.

"No kiddin'", I raised my eyebrows and looked at the Greenie. "Do you even know what being a Runner involves?" I questioned him.

"To run?", he answered a bit puzzled. He looked confused, like I just asked him the most idiotic question ever.

"Very funny, Tommy", I said folding my arms. I gave him a mistrustful gaze, then looked at Minho. "Are you sure about this?", I asked him. He just shrugged:

"Do we have any better option?"

"I guess not", I answered after a moment of thinking.

"Would you just stop talking about me like I'm not even here?", Thomas snapped and I burst out laughing.

Newt just smiled and handed us the backpacks. When it was my turn, he cupped my face with his hands and pulled me closer.

"Be careful out there, okay?", he whispered. "Make sure you come back to me. Promise!"

"Always!"I whispered back.

We just stared into each other's eyes for a couple of seconds, before grabbing him by the collar and pulling him into a kiss. He instantly wrapped his arms around my waist, enfolding me into a tight hug.