PART 7

I could not understand what was happening and what Alicia meant with that phrase "Everything is going to change".

Before I even had the chance to ask something, Alan pulled me by the shoulder and walked outside the room with me and along the corridor.

"Where are we going?", I asked him.

"In your old room, of course", he said smiling. "We think that being surrounded by familiar things will help you to get your memories back faster."

I looked at him in disbelieve, not really knowing what was he talking about. All the memories I had were from inside the Glade and as much as the Gladers and I talked about our past, we didn't believe that aT some point we could have a chance to get them back.

"Will the others be alright?", I asked.

We stopped in front of a white door and Alan pushed a button from aside the door frame and the door went open.

"Of course, that's what we're doing here; saving everybody."

His words made me feel better, but at the same time I couldn't help myself but questioning why the boys didn't remember me.

"Have a good sleep. You will feel better after that and I promise that all your memories will get back to you in no time", Alan said pointing towards the bunk bed in the room.

I nodded at him and as I got inside the small area, the bulbs lit up suddenly. I quickly took a step back but then I felt Alan's hand on the small of my back, gently pushing me inside.

"It's alright", he said.

I took a look around me as I saw a small table near the wall and another door which had written "Toilet" on it.

"This was my room?", I asked. "It's like nobody lived here for years."

"Well technically you are right", Alan answered. "This was your room when you were younger."

"Thank you, Alan. I think I can handle it from here", I turned around and smiled at him.

Alan smiled back and nodded.

"Well, you already started to sound as the old Y/N. It's good to have you back. We will continue the experiments as soon as you feel better."

I clenched my teeth at the word "experiments". But I forced myself to keep my smile as I nodded back.

Alan left my room and closed the door, leaving me surrounded by unknown things: an old teddy bear which was dusty now, a book filled with chemical formulas and some files on the table which were already yellow from the passing time.

As I approached them, I read words like "flare" and "phase 1" on some of the pages, as some well known names: Newt, Frypan and even Thomas.

"Thomas?", I said to myself. "But Thomas is the new Greenie."

As I searched through those files, I found things I couldn't even imagine: old photos of my friends, their real names, their past and even their fate; details about some experiments and phases of experiments.

"Grievers? Cranks?"

I already knew how a Griever looked like, but a Crank? A short scream escaped from my chest when I found a photo of a zombie-like human.

"What the hell is this?"

My head was already spinning from all the new info, but I kept reading until late that night. I tried to memorize detail after detail as a plan already started to build inside my mind.

WICKED might have erased my memories for a while, but they will never erase my feelings. I was determined to save my friends, to save Newt.

I went to sleep when I thought it was early in the morning. I couldn't see outside though, as the room didn't even have windows. But as soon as I hit the pillow, I was fast asleep.

I couldn't describe how weird that night was. I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or remembering things about my past: images with me working in WICKED's labs during my childhood, class assignments with WICKED teachers, secret late night gatherings with some kids, designing and building something massive and a medical mask on my face.

I shot up screaming and all wrapped around my blanket. I was still tired from all that tossing and turning, but I decided to take a shower instead of getting back to sleep; I really needed to clear my mind. So instead of hot water I decided to shower with cold water.

And it was like a wake- up call for my mind; I perfectly remembered my place in WICKED

organization and what our main purpose was; I remembered all the hard working and studying I had to do since I was a little kid. But something more important, I remembered my inhuman affinity for numbers; I could calculate and compare using only my eyes and my mind. An anxious feeling hit me when I realized what WICKED has used my ability for: to build the Maze; to trap my friends inside.

I quickly got out of the shower and dressed with my yesterday's clothes. I put my hair in a ponytail and took one last glance around the room before trying the door's knob. Surprisingly, it was open.

As I close the door behind me, I was surrounded by the same long, white corridor with lots of doors on both sides. I only had time to make one step before being greeted by Alan.

"You're up that early?", he asked. "To be honest, I expected you to sleep a little bit more than six in the morning."

My eyes went wide open.

"It's only six in the morning?"

"Yes. But I assume it was the time you would wake up in back the Glade, to run the Maze. It's incredible how human body can adapt to new things, right?"

I gulped and followed him on the long corridor, not really knowing where we were going.

"So did you get all your memories back?", Alan asked me.

"Some of them, yes. Some are still confusing."

"Ah, don't worry about it", he patted my shoulder, "it will probably take a day or two to completely clarify everything."

I nodded and let him guide me inside of a room. It was the same observing room from yesterday and some people were still watching the screens, studying the Glader's behavior.

"How are they?", I asked no one in particular.

"They have already started their daily routine", a young woman answered, writing something on her clipboard.

I watched the screens myself for a while: Minho was getting ready to go inside the Maze with Thomas and Alby to find out more about the dead Griever; Gally was trying to tell them that the idea was stupid and Newt just stood there against the wall, trying to find a solution. My heart skipped a beat at the sight of the blond haired boy who used to know me not long ago.

"Are you ready to get back in business?", Alan asked me, grinning. "We're almost on phase two."

But then another sudden memory hit me:

"Did you just sent my brother into the Maze?", I asked pointing at Thomas.

"We had to", Alan said. "He's the Leader."

"What? No, this must be a mistake", I frowned. "Alby is the Leader."

"Not the real one."

Alan winked at me and turned around to discuss something with another man, leaving me stunned.

____

So I thought I would end the story at 6 parts, but then new ideas came along with some help from a very good friend of mine and I decided to keep writing on this one :)