PART 12

Glancing over his shoulder, Newt made his way toward Minho who was stood up in the tower, watching over the Glade. It was where he spent most of his time lately and Newt couldn't blame him. It was a calming view up there, being able to watch over everyone. And Newt knew that after running the Maze all day every day, Minho deserved some peace and quiet.

He climbed the ladder and greeted his friend with a polite nod as he stood beside him with his arms folded.

''How's she doing?'' He asked, nodding toward the kitchens where they could see the others.

''She's... Fine, I think. Askin' some weird buggin' questions though.'' He stated. ''I mean, most of us ask about the Maze, right? She wanted to know if we remember anything other than our names.'' He said, practically grimacing at the reminder.

''Maybe she's worried. It ain't normal to be in this situation, remembering nothing, how we got here, who sent us and why.'' Minho explained.

Newt simply hummed in response and his friend caught on to the subtle disagreement.

''You think it's something else?'' the boy asked.

Newt sighed and turned to face his friend, scratching at the back of his head. He thought for a moment before he shook his head.

''No. No, it's nothing.'' He eventually said, thinking it best to keep his opinion on the matter to himself.

Frypan was a good story teller, I realized after spending some time with him. He was a good cook, also; his soup was fabulous.

I was proud of my job today, even if I just washed some dishes and chopped some vegetables. The simple fact that only for a couple of hours I forgot about my troubled mind made me smile.

"Alright Greenie", Frypan said, "that's all for today. I liked having you here". He smiled at me and patted my shoulder.

"How did you like working in the kitchens?" I gave him a shy smile and shrugged.

"It was fine, I guess", I answered. "I liked your stories, but I don't think I was made for being a cook." Frypan laughed at my statement.

"Don't worry Greenie, this is just the beginning! You'll run back to me in no time after you'll try the other jobs!"

I bit my lip, looking at him in disbelief.

"Is it really that bad?", I asked.

"Just wait until you meet Captain Gally", Frypan answered again, the last two words in a mocking voice. "But whatever, I'll put a good word for you anyways", he winked and gave me the thumbs up sign.

I smiled and left the kitchens, heading toward the table where Newt and I had ours meal, waiting for the blonde boy to come back as he promised.

Newt wasn't sure why this was troubling him so much.

'Just treat her like you would any other Greenie.' He thought to himself before he turned to Minho.

''I'll take her to the gardens; then to Gally. Don't wanna scare her with being a Slicer on her first day.'' He scoffed, patting his friend on the shoulder before heading toward the ladder. ''She'll get the idea tonight.'' He added with a short laugh before he disappeared down the ladder, strutting  across the Glade.

''Ya get on with Frypan alrigh'?'' He called as he reached me, a half smile on his face.

When I heard Newt's voice, I turned around towards him with a big smile on my face.

"Yeah, I think he was pretty pleased with my work", I answered his question. "I'm glad you're back though. So what's next?"

Newt beamed at me, placing his hand on his forehead to shield his eyes from the sun as he gestured for me to follow him as usual.

''I thought we might try you out in the gardens.'' He suggested before pausing in his steps and turning toward me. ''Unless there's somethin' particular you want to do.'' He said, gesturing around the Glade at the different jobs people were doing. ''There's always plenty to be done.'' He shrugged, folding his arms across his chest, causing his biceps to naturally flex.

I took a look around us as Newt suggested. Then I saw 2 boys entering the Glade through one of the massive doors of the big walls. I frowned and moved my gaze toward the blonde boy, folding my arms.

"I thought you said to never go out beyond those walls" I pointed to the stone blocks around us. "Then why were they out?"

But when Newt didn't answer immediately, I felt getting annoyed. "Is there something you're not telling me?"

I waited for his answer a couple of seconds before deciding to head towards the walls. I didn't even care if Newt would follow me or not. I had to prove him that I know what I'm doing and he had to trust me with this.

But he took off in a sprint to catch up.

''Hey, where the shuck d'ya think you're goin'?!'' He called, barely reaching me as I approached the doors. ''I was talkin' to you!'' He added as though he was utterly clueless to what I was doing.

I kept walking, even if I heard Newt trying to catch me from behind.

"Well I was talking to you too, but you didn't seem to hear me or to answer any of my questions", I said. "So if you're not going to explain me what the hell is going on here and why you keep lying -to me, then I'll guess I just have to find out myself."

I approached the two boys and stood in front of them with my arms folded.

"Good day, Shanks!", I greeted them. "Are you kind to tell me what's beyond those walls and why this Shank here doesn't want me to know?"

They gave me a questionable look, then moved their gazes to Newt, who finally caught up with me.

"And I assume that's the Greenie?" ,one of the boys asked. They were George and Stephen, two Gladers I used to avoid in the past because of their nasty jokes.

"Yes I'm the Greenie", I replied still with my arms folded. "Now...back to my question."

I saw Newt stammered, almost taken aback by my words. He turned toward George and Stephen when they stopped, holding his hands up in defeat of their questions.

''I told you already, Greenie, you're not allowed to go beyond those bloody walls, so I suggest you quit with the shuck attitude.'' Newt practically ordered, his tone firm.

Both George and Stephen simply chuckled, wished him luck; then took off in a trot across the Glade. Newt, however, mimicked my stance, folding his arms across his chest with a raised brow.

''Two choices. You go back to work until sundown, or we throw you in the pits until you calm your shuck-self down.''

Pits, I thought. I've never been locked up in the pits before. I shivered at the thought and gulped, giving Newt a scared look. The old me would have fought back, giving him some attitude; and Newt would have laughed and ruffled my hair. But not now, not while I was still trying to gain his trust.

I lowered my gaze to the ground and unfolded my arms, a sign of defeat.

"Okay, I'm going wherever you say", I sighed and followed Newt to the next working spot. We headed to the gardens, but my confused mind did not allow me to focus well enough at Newt's words.

But I kept working in the gardens for a while under Newt's observation and always making sure there was some distance between us and our separate working spots. Every time Newt would peek at me, I would turn my gaze away.

And hour after hour, I kept working without any other complains.