PART 10

As the blonde boy explained to me about the Glade and the jobs available there, I couldn't help it but ask a lot of questions.

"Why do you call me Greenie?" and "Shanks? What that means?" but without receiving any answers from him.

Truth is, I knew all the answers, but it would have been awkward to look like I already was familiar with everything. My purpose there was to start everything from scratch and get them out of the Maze.

"You guys talk really funny, you know?" I laughed.

Newt seemed kind and worth to trust, no wonder I fell in love with him from the very beginning.

"Is it true there aren't any girls here?" I pointed around the Glade, watching the other Gladers doing their jobs.

Nobody bothered us while we were passing through, although I thought I saw some lustful looks and heard some whistles. I got closer to Newt, almost bumping into him and trying to keep my head down, not wanting to draw any attention; although I knew exactly who whistled, because their behaviors and their voices were well stuck in my memory.

Newt was too busy giving his introduction and tour to me as though he'd been practising for the moment over and over. Really, it just came naturally. Once we'd circled back to where we began, he stopped and turned toward me after glaring at a few other boys and shooing them away. With a roll of his eyes he turned his gaze down to me.

''Greenie? It's what we call all the newbies. You shouldn't be any different. Well, at least until you remember your name.'' He stat realising he hadn't even introduced himself.

''Oh, I'm Newt, by the way.''

He chuckled quietly before he led me over to a nearby bench and took a seat.

''Shank is just what we call each other. You'll pick it all up soon enough. The only thing we need you to remember are the rules. One, do your part. Two, never harm another Glader and three...'' Newt paused, making sure I was listening before he continued. ''Never go beyond those walls.'' He stated, pointing toward the open gap across the Glade.

He spoke no further about that though.

''In the meantime, we'll send you off to work around the Glade. Find somethin' that suits you, huh?'' He perked up, smiling at me.

I listened to everything Newt has explained and took a quick glance at the massive walls around the Glade.

"But if we're trapped here, why don't we just leave through those doors?", I asked. "Why are you telling me not to go beyond them?".

The boy seemed quiet and I was very intrigued about his silence. I needed them to know the exit was right there, they just have to look a little bit closer.

"Shank?" I smiled at the word, feeling strange using it for the first time after so long. I stood up from the bench and took a few steps away from Newt , but then I turned around and went back toward him. "Newt", I said. "Can I trust you with something?"

But my thoughts were interrupted when we heard Minho's voice.

"How's everything going on, Greenie?", he asked. "Did Newt explained everything?"

I gave the blonde boy a quick look.

"It depends of what do you understand by everything", I folded my arms.

Minho burst out laughing, giving Newt a slight nod.

"I guess he did. Well come on now, Greenie, it's time for you to eat. You must be starving."

Only then I realised how hungry I was. I gave Newt a questionable look, wondering if he'll come too.

Newt watched me with interest. I knew that there was something about me that made him... Curious; "maybe because we knew each other long before?", I wanted to say but stayed quiet instead.

It was normal for the newbies to question but it had barely been an hour and I was already asking if he could be trusted. He gently cleared his throat when Minho arrived, offering his friend a light smile before standing on his feet.

I wanted to talk, I was acting curious. It didn't make for a good result, it should have been the other way around but the questions I had, I saw Newt unable to answer. And maybe it was a good thing, maybe that will make him dig deeper for some answers.

''C'mon. I'll introduce you to Frypan.'' He smiled instead, pushing away his thoughts as he guided me to the kitchens with Minho close.

I smiled when Newt decided to join me in the kitchen. Maybe we would have the chance to talk more while eating. I wanted so much to trust Newt and tell him what's going on within my mind; to tell him the truth about why I'm actually here.

But what if he wouldn't believe me? What if he would consider me crazy? After all, he didn't remember me; I was nothing but a stranger for him at the moment.

As we approached Frypan's kitchen and the sudden smell of the food crept into my nostrils, I forgot about everything. Minho took a plate and went towards a black skinned guy minding his own business among some cooking utensils, patting him on the shoulder.

"Anything left for the Greenie, Fry?" he asked.

Frypan took a look at me and winked, gesturing for me to come closer.

"Sure thing, Minho", he answered and began filling the plate with food.

My eyes widened when I saw all the goodies: bacon, eggs, salad, freshly baked bread.

"Thank you, Frypan", I said with gratitude.

"Not a problem, Greenie", he smiled. "Still not remembered your name?"

"Not yet, but I hope I will do it soon enough", I answered. Lies, Lies, Lies!

Frypan nodded at my statement and went back to his kitchen. Minho gave me the plate.

"Enjoy your lunch, Greenie", he said. And with that he left again, leaving me behind.