CHAPTER 5 MOTIVE

Mabel's P.O.V

My feet sunk into the soft earth making my footsteps, as heavy as led. The complaints had become low, but audible grumbles as the ten of us  walked to the bunker. Morning was still a long time away,  and we were vulnerable  out in the open like this. I scanned the horizon for some form of shelter. My gaze fell upon a cave a few yards away.

  "Hey guys there's a cave, over there. We can rest for the night and continue walking tomorrow."I heard a few murmurs and sighs of relief from the others. We made our way to the cave as quick as our tired legs could go.

The cave was damp and cool, but it was better than nothing.  A few minutes later a fire was made, using a dead tree to burn.  Wendy was able to get some bat meat and we roasted it.  Bat meat was a lot better than brown meat, which tasted like an old leather shoe.

As the night wore on we all settled in for the night.  I watched in surprise as Bill yawned and lay down. I he glared at me.

"What are you looking at?" Bill snapped making me jump.

"No I.... I didn't know you could sleep" Bill rolled his eyed scoffing.

"No I don't usually but because of this! (he gestures to the necklace) I can't transform into my actual body, and this meat sack of a body needs rest and fuel" As if to prove his point Bill's stomach growled.  I grabbed the leftover bat meat and offered him some. Bill sneered at me but took it finishing it in seconds.

"Goodnight Bill" I lay down and closed my eyes drifting into a peaceful sleep.

Dippers P. O. V

Dippers pov

   I waited until my sister was fast asleep before I sat up next to Bill. I'd overheard everything. Usually I'd write it down, but it was obviously not a good time.  Bill still resented me for the stunt I pulled earlier.

"Look Bill I... " The words instantly stuck in my throat.  How could I tell him that I let my Object fall into my sisters hands? He'd laugh at me for sure.

"I know" Was all Bill said. Those words told me everything I needed to know. When we I was about to aid Mabel, Bill must've read my thoughts before I put the necklace on him, and obstructed his powers.  So he knew my reason for being here, but what was his?  Sure there's the necklace but its a minor threat to a demon of his power.  He could have left any time, all it would take is the right amount of force to get the necklace off.  I looked at him from the corner of my eye.

His blond hair was lit up by the dying fire,  his yellow eyes glowing in the darkness like a cats. I lay back down to sleep my body beginning to shut down.  I looked at Bill one more time, he was lying down his back facing me. I closed my eyes and a question repeatedly rang in my head.

"Was Bill staying for me?"