Chapter 17: As Official Princess...

It was today.

Today was the day I'd be crowned as the official Princess of Gathednam before initially becoming queen and I was scared shitless. We had practiced this ceremony plenty of times but what if my mind went blank during my speech? Back in high school on Earth, every time I'd give a presentation that exact situation would happen. Inhaling deeply to calm my rapid nerves, I adjusted the colorful flower decorated ring placed upon my head for the billionth time-

"You look great, Courtney."

I whipped around to face Farrah who stood near the door I would make my appearance from. Chuckling nervously, I looked toward my feet, I was too nervous to even speak... How the hell was I supposed to make a speech in front of most superiors of Gathednam? In front of few people who traveled across the oceans to see me? In front of some people I haven't even met yet even though Harris said I would met them when I became Queen.

"Th-thank you."

Farrah smiled sweetly. "You know what, I'll be right back." She left the room before I could say anything. I turned toward the mirror again, it's all going to be okay I reminded myself.

For the ceremony, I wore a stunning short Gathednain style steel blue dress, and although the material was foreign to me, the fabric was extremely smooth and soft. You'd think they'd give me a long formal dress for this special occasion but no. My dress stopped just at my knees with sandals that spiraled half way up my calf. My face was done beautifully by Stella with perfect winged eye liner, contour and eye shadow. She then straightened my hair to profection and Tori and I didn't get to have a say. Finally, she crowned me with the flower ring that was placed on my head before dotting my face with white finger paint.

Gathednam, of course, had their traditions and white dots painted along your face while inheriting a position of higher power was one of them. The woman had put dots along the top of both my brows then down the center of my nose. Stella finished with a single, slightly bigger dot on my chin and after all that time, I was now ready. Ready and waiting on my cue to come out into the ceremony.

The door abruptly opened and I jumped, startled before realizing it was only Farrah. "Jesus, you scared me." I held my hand on my chest.

"Sorry!" She whispered, coming into the room and shutting the door softly behind her while holding a small teacup in her hand. "I couldn't help but notice how nervous you were so I brought you this."

Farrah handed me the white cup. "What is it?"

"Tea." She wiped her hands along her pants after I had taken the cup. "Well, calming tea to be exact. It'll calm your nerves and help keep you focus, I thought it might help because it helped me."

To be honest, I was really thankful and, because a guard gestured that we had only three minutes, I nearly swallowed the whole cup in two seconds. When I was done I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, careful to not ruin my make-up. I must've looked a hot mess but it was my nerves getting the best of me.

"One minute." It was Harris, he had just finished giving his speech and came in to announce. You could temporarily hear the crowd clapping and cheering while the doors were open, everyone on the other side waiting for my appearance next. The doors shut, causing it to go mildly quiet in the room again, I then nodded at him and handed the cup to Farrah before I begin reciting the words in my head.

Finally, I inhaled. Okay.

"I'm ready."

"Alright, remember what we talked about. Focus on one thing in the crowd of each section. If you have an episode clear your mind and inhale. Don't sound like a robot, be you." Harris quickly reminded me as he led me to the door of the next room with his hand low on my back, guiding me.