Chapter Twenty-Four: Scour

AUTHOR'S POV    

The sound of papers shuffling...the sporadic yet soft tap of keys on Laurent's laptop are combined with the outer workings of the office such as the ringing of phones as Andrea and Dave answer them promptly as well as professionally. It's been a beyond busy day and they have all been working vigorously to keep business at Bourgeois Law Firm afloat. With things going as crazy as they have been with work, keeping mama and Larry safe and the constant worry about the next move Todd might make Laurent revisits hiring Derrick for the firm then having him come in so he can quickly get him up to date on everything in order to focus on his personal matters. He's felt much better knowing that Larry and mama have extra protection. Of course he's still hoping that all of this will end soon so they can move on with their lives and continue their attempt at reconciliation...but for now this is what they have to deal with. He's slept with Larry each night and he could tell that although Larry has the same hope that this ends soon he could also tell that he's feeling less antsy with each day. Laurent also informed him that he asked Andrea to live in an unknown place to Todd until further notice so with everyone safer they're both confident that with as hard as the detectives are working they will be receiving a call saying that it's finally over. Until then Laurent is going forth with his decision to call Derrick and as it isn't just about the current situation but he also knows that he and Larry's marriage will benefit greatly from it just as he had planned prior to finding out about the affair because after all, he's forgiven Larry and he's ready and willing to put it all behind him. He picks up the phone on his desk to place a call to him when suddenly an extremely unnerving sensation comes over his body and he can sense that it has something to do with Larry. He places the phone back on the mount and picks up his cell phone instead to call Larry. Thinking he will get an answer within a few rings he only becomes more nervous when Larry doesn't answer at all and that the call goes to his voicemail...

"Hey. I just called to see if you're oki. Please call me back as soon as you can to let me know". 

Laurent releases the call but he can't simply go back to work. It's not uncommon for him to get Larry's voicemail but this particular time just feels off. He's sure that with Larry taking time off of work because of the circumstances he would have answered. Now Laurent knows he won't be able to focus unless he's assured that Larry as well as mama are ok so he picks his phone back up to place a call to her...

Mama: "Hey son". 

Laurent: "Hey mama. Is Larry there"?

Mama: "No he went to the store for me". 

Laurent: "He went alone"?

Mama: "Yes he did". *pause* "What's wrong son"?

Laurent: "I just wanted to make sure everything is oki. How long ago did he leave"?

Mama: "I say twenty minutes". 

There was already a slight panic to Laurent's voice mama heard when she first answered the call and now as silence falls between them she can sense that he's extremely worried...

Mama: "You think something happened"?

Laurent: "I don't know mama. I just wish the cop that's watching the house would have sent someone with him to make sure he's oki". 

Mama: "I understand son but I'm sure he's on the way back now". 

Laurent: "Can you ask him to call me"?