Chapter7

Loud Sound of Silence

**Sayla** 

I am now seven month pregnant and I’m so ready to have my baby boy. I was happy. I even went to Caleb grave to tell him I hope he would be in heaven smiling at the fact he was having a son. I been working a buying up stuff for lil man even though I haven’t decided on a name for him.

I get up out of bed to get ready for my doctor’s appointment. After my shower and eating breakfast with my parents I got ready to go. “Sweetie do you want me to go come with you?” “No mom I’ll be fine.” “Be back soon as I can.”

Sitting at a red light I hear a loud screaking noise from behind me. I look up in the rear-view mirror. I see a black SUV speeding toward me while still increasing speed. Before I could get out It hits me from behind. Once the car stop moving I look up to catch my breath and surrounding. I open the door weak from the accident. I get out my legs give out on me. I try to call out for help my voice is so low I barely hear myself. I hear a noise in the distance but it’s getting closer I get on my knees I try and get up but before I can I am hit on my side by the car again. I lay on the ground my hand over my belly. I hear a voice in distance that is so close yet so far “I told you to watch you’re back this bastard child will never see the light of day.” She says before kicking me over and over in my stomach. “Honey that is enough. We need to go before someone sees us here with this trash.” The male voice so powerful. I felt one more hard kick before darkness took over me.

{hours later}

I wake up to a bright light in my face. “Where am I?” I asked lowly. What I am guessing is a nurse came and told me I am in the hospital having an emergency C-section. “How is my baby.” “Hone I do not know we will take good care of the baby when he is born.”

“Baby boy is here. Take him to NICU (neonatal-unit) stat his breathing is still shallow. I heard a male voice say through the room. “My son, where is my son?” The nurse came back over ma’am we are doing all we can your parents are here. When we finish with you here we will take you to a room.”

A while later laying in the room my mom with a worried look on her face. My dad was on the other side praying for his grandson. “Baby who did this to you?” Before I could answer my mom, the door open with some nurses all round. I see my son with tubes and wires all around his little body. The doctor came in behind them.

“Ms. Cooper I am sorry to inform you, but there is nothing more we can do for your son. The wreak was too much for him. I though you would want to spend as much time with him as possible.” Tears slide down like face like liquid fire my heart was breaking into a million pieces and then they broke into a million more. 

“We will need a name for his birth and death certificates.” One of the nurses said. While another on placed him in my arms my mended then broke again knowing this moment wouldn’t last. I just look at him and smile. “Hey mama’s baby.” I say lowly my voice above a whisper. I notice my mom and dad taken pictures of me and my son. “His name is Caleb Elijah Cooper.” I say with tears coming down my face.  “We will leave you all alone now.”

My mom asked to hold him I passed him to her and my dad continued to take pictures until he wanted to hold Elijah. I got him back and prayed over him held him close as his little body begin slow down. My heart broke all over again. My dad and mom came behind both with their phones. My mom had mine and took pictures of all of us then some of Elijah by himself. I got him and held him ‘til he took his last breath and my heart with him.

{next day}

I was laying down all my tears gone or so I thought then some more fell. “Sweetheart you need to try to eat something.” My dad says. I just look at him before feeling this unreal pain again. My dad’s phone rung and I heard him speaking and he got happy all of sudden. “Sayla, phone sweetie.” I reach for the phone.

“Hello. I say in whisper.” “Hey baby sister.” Hearing my brother’s voice a small smile appears on my face. “Hey Jr.” “Sis I am so sorry. I see pictures that mom and pop sent me. He was so beautiful sis. I’ll be home for the services and to see you.” Thank you.” “I hate to cut it short but I have a lot of work to do before I leave. I love you Sayla.” “I love you, bye, Jr.” I gave the phone back to my dad and turn toward my mom. “It hurts so bad.” She just held me while I cried ‘til I went to sleep. 

I woke up to hearing arguing outside of the door. My parents and another couple. I know I should have gotten out of bed but I needed to hear. Moving very slowly to the door. I heard my mom. “You did this to my daughter and grandson. Why are you so cruel? What did she do to you?” “That bitch daughter is destroying the empire we made.” “Well we will continue to do so.” I heard my dad say. “Then we will destroy you and all of your family.” I heard Caleb father say. I can’t allow this madness to continue. I pack my bags while they continue to argue. After they finish my parents came back in. I asked my mom and dad if they can would go and get me something to eat. I just made up something once they left. I asked the nurse for some pain medicine. After she left. Went to the closest stair case and went down ‘til I reached the bottom floor. I covered my cut praying It doesn’t get infected and I left to the closest ATM withdrawing all my money. I went to the bus station.

“Where to ma’am?” The lady at the window asked me. “The next bus going the furthest away.” I say. “That’s is $350.00” I gave her the money and waited for 15 minutes for the bus. When I board the bus. I took the pain medicine and let the darkness take over as I went to the world unknown. 

Comment:

Vote: