f o u r

Dedicated to Eliya_Blomquist Thanks for your lovely encouraging comments.

From the way her eyebrows met each other. From the way her bottom lip was protruding. From the way her heels were repeatedly clacking against the floorboards. he knew that she was once again dissatisfied by him.

she looked down on his grade sheet, a deep frown etched on her features. she fixed him with a long stare. her eyes held too many emotions that he was unable to decipher them. For a second he felt that those eyes were calculative almost like theirs.

"My colleague's son Luke gets straight A's all the time," she spoke but stopped abruptly, punctuating it with a hollow sigh. But he knew the unspoken words that followed. Those words that never failed to form in her brain and get transferred to her tongue but never left her lips. Those words that she let the silence speak. Those words that kept on replaying in his mind.

Why can't you?

he tried. But he couldn't. he wasn't any good. he was useless.

she pushed away the sheet from her. A small deliberate push. A slight force on the paper. A minimal expenditure of her energy. But she had pushed him away. Away from her concerns. Away from her life.

he watched her face relax. he watched the lines on her forehead smoothen. he watched her exhale as if he was that breath which had to be expelled.

he had long given up on himself. And now his own mother too.

Why can't he be Luke?

Why can't he be Martha?

Why can't he be anyone other than him?