s i x t e e n

A/N: Sorry for the really late update. My exams are currently going on. This chapter is dedicated to Naoki001 for her sweet and encouraging comments. I guess this chapter can't be considered as a short one. Hehe!

 he was seated at a cafe with her

he was seated at a cafe with her. They had skipped the group session together. It was her idea, of course and looking deep into her warm eyes, he wondered why he had agreed. she was sporting a maniacal victorious grin and it irked him immensely.

he snorted before staring down at the long languid creamy swirls in his coffee. The cafe was sepia coloured and the air around them was aromatic with the scent of crushed coffee beans and freshly baked bagels. her hair was swept backwards and her bangs were unsymmetrical as usual. her nose was slightly tinged red from the cold. A scarf was lazily thrown over her shoulder.

Butterflies arose like phoenixes from his lower abdominal region and slowly made their way up and finally vanished in his beating heart, causing it to accelerate more. he couldn't decipher this feel. But at the same time, he felt at place. Maybe it was not the cozy cafe that made him feel so. Maybe it was her cherubic smile.

he was afraid of trusting another human being. he was afraid to give a part of his heart to someone. he was afraid that it would be thrown on the ground and get trampled under dirty shoes again. he was afraid that she would hate him just the same way as his mom and his best friend did. he was afraid that he would have to feel the blade against his skin again.

his kingdom had been destroyed. Everything was in shambles. The Angels no longer sung their divine songs. The goblins no longer planted flowers. There was a huge crack running through the entire land. And it could never be mended by needles and thread.

"I am so furious at them. How could they do so? Those bullies!" she exclaimed. his brown eyes found her grey ones through his eyelashes. What was she talking about?

Sometimes he saw a light at the end of a street or an alley. With no purpose in his life, he walked towards it. Sometimes he ran, letting the wind race with his beating heart. But at the end of the street he found nothing but darkness and ruined dreams.

There is always a shadow behind every illuminated surface. But until he finds that sun that would illuminate him, he will have to drown in the darkness of his own shadows. And when the sun appears and redeems him, he knew that the shadows that once provided him calm would disappear. But that didn't stop him from searching for the light. It is the only purpose in his life right now.

"they destroyed your entire kingdom! you were working so hard on it. It was so beautiful too. What was it called? A paper ma-" she stared uncertainly at his face.

"A papier-mâché kingdom," he prompted.

"Yes," she smiled excitedly. "Why did you let them destroy it? You are really talented at making those paper things."

"I don't care," he shrugged off. she gripped the paper coffee mug more tightly. The smile fell off her face. he almost regretted it.

"Killjoy," she muttered. he rolled his eyes at her.

Silence followed for a few seconds. his eyes drilled into hers. Suddenly she stood up from her seat, startling him as well as the half empty coffee mug, causing it to spill all over the table. she gasped.

"Clumsy," he muttered. she ignored him but smiled.

The next few seconds were enjoyable to her and embarrassing to him. she was dragging him out of his chair by his arm. he blushed as he heard the people around them chuckle. Finally not being able to withstand more humiliation, he succumbed to her wishes and followed her out of the cafe. she was taking long strides on the pavement but he caught up with her with ease.

"What do you want now?" he asked her angrily but with amusement in his eyes.

"We are going to build a new kingdom," she answered. he looked surprised at her.

"A new papier-mâché kingdom?" he asked.

"No, a new kingdom," she replied with power.

The moment she said it, was magical for him. he stared at her in astonishment. she looked into his eyes with so much determination and admiration that he felt himself melt. Her lips were set into a purposeful smile and she looked so serious and ambitious as though they were going to save the world. His jaw dropped. No one had ever given him that sort of significance.

his heart was beating hard. But he didn't bother to question the meaning of what she had said because he came to realise something. Because deep down he knew.

he was no longer scared. he was in fact awed. he realised that he didn't have to be afraid of entrusting her with a piece of his heart because she would pin it above her own.

he took a mental photograph of her at that moment. her cold fingers entwined with his warm ones. her lips parted in a smile. her other hand battling with her hair that was flying in the wind and a few of the strands were stuck into the folds of her scarf. her grey eyes looking almost colourless in the dull winter sun.

"A kingdom without any demons," he said out of nowhere. she smiled even wider at him. he reciprocated the smile with one of his own. And he almost heard the angels of his kingdom whisper among themselves -

The King had finally met with his queen.