t w e n t y

he walked down the street after school, with a deep unhappy frown etched between his brows

he walked down the street after school, with a deep unhappy frown etched between his brows. The corner of his lips oozed scarlet drops. A blackish unpleasant bruise encircled his eyes. New scars branded his arms and legs. he was bullied yet again. But now the pain in his heart has been doubly intensified. she wasn't there anymore to bring calm to his bleeding heart.

he lazily swung his bag over his aching shoulders. he watched the people rush past him from on all sides. The sky resembled the messy colourful palette of a confused artist. The evening was warm yet he felt chilled to his bones.

he didn't know why but something made him turn back. Each strand of her hair shone like fine red gossamer threads in the faint glow of the street lights. her colourless light eyes soon found his dark onyx ones. her hair was unkempt and wind teased. The tips of her nose was cold bitten and her cheeks were red tinged. he was mesmerised. she looked too celestial. Like she was a star who stepped down from the night sky to visit the earthlings.

she was quick on her feet but he was quicker. They pushed past the crowd as they ran. he ran after her. The people watched them with amusement and anger. But he didn't care what they thought. he felt elated as he paced along with wind. Though his body ached as his muscles stretched, his hopes were high because he could feel the smile she was hiding behind her self made frown. And just as he neared her, he stretched his arm and felt the soft material of her coat brush past his fingertips. Electric waves ran through his body. But with lupine grace she avoided his grab.

he wasn't willing to give up. And suddenly she stumbled on the pavement. Like on an
impulse he caught her arm and steadied her. Gratefulness and hurt flashed before her eyes as they met his. But he was taken aback by the domineering anger that danced in her pale blue irises. her eyes blazed like cold blue fire.

"I'm sorry," he said as he hung his head down. "I know I have been such an asshole to you. I won't repeat it. Please forgive me."

"Ok," she replied. he suddenly looked up happily. But his smile faded on seeing her eyes still hardened like those sapphire stones shining behind the glass cases of jewellery shops.

"So can we go get some coffee?" he asked looking hopefully at her. she tilted her chin almost abruptly.

"I am busy," she said sharply.

"But I want to talk," he blurted helplessly.

"About what?" she questioned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"About us," he said heatedly.

"Us? There's no us anymore. It's over. Our thing...it is over." her eyebrows met each other as she thundered. her voice wobbled slightly but she steadied it. she witnessed him falling into his pit of doom. she ached to offer him her hand. But withheld. she turned her head as his eyes turned glassy.

"But why? It was just a small fight. It was no big deal. I mean I know I have been no good. But I can...but I can make it up to you," he said almost pleadingly. his eyes begged her. she almost changed her mind then. she longed to just crash her body to his and feel their hearts dance in a heated tango. her lips trembled but her heart still ached of that day he let go of her hand as if she was some piece of trash. she clenched her fists tightly.

"I trusted you a lot. A relationship's all about that. But you didn't. And you weren't willing to. I tried a lot to help you the way you did to me. But you treated me like shit! Like nobody! You pushed me away! You hurt me and now I can't be with you.." Tears leaked down her eyes. she felt tired then. Extremely weak. her head ached tremendously.

she closed her eyes and took a deep breath,"Look we will talk about us later. I need to go now."

he looked dazed almost awestruck at her as if he didn't know her at all. As if he was meeting this girl for the first time. And for some reason he also felt like he knew her from a long time back. As if she was the only person he knew his entire life.

he knew her like the dog eared pages of his favourite book but each day the meaning of the string of imprinted words changed to something new. And by the time he figured it out, that meaning held no value. his feelings contradicted and left him hollow and confused. he was once again lost. Trains of thoughts ran around his mind but he didn't know which one to catch. her voice jolted him back to back to his heartbreaking reality.

"Let go of me," she said, reluctantly sharp. he stared down at her hand that he was still holding on to. he understood the meaning that she implied.

To let go of her.

he must have let go of her hand then. But he can never let go of her. That thought of letting go of her seemed so impossible to him that it surprised him. It shocked him. she always felt as if she was part of his life that he had never given their relationship, a different thought.

he can't let go of her. No, he just can't.

What will he do if she goes away?

No, he can't let go of her.

But why?

she rotated her heels and without a second glance of him, she walked off. her each step away from him was determined and calculated. Rhythmic and unforced. But as he watched her merge with the crowd, fog and his blurred vision, he realised something.

he was in love with her.