Well...Not Anymore: Chapter 21

Picture on the side is of Drew...who has at long last returned! 

Hope you guys all enjoy :) Vote/comment/do all that kinds of stuff...be awesome!

I go back to school the next day.  

It's been two weeks since I've stepped foot onto that campus and, the last time I was there, I was still somewhat with Drew, the boy who I haven't heard from since then. It's town news that my father killed himself; hell, I once walked in on Lucas' mom watching the Evening News cover about it. So I know that he knows. 

I know that everyone knows. 

I really don't want the pity stares; I honestly don't know if I'll be able to handle them. I just want people to treat me how they treated me before-with discard. I just want to go through my day and then go back to the bookstore and read out my frustrations. Maybe make out with Lucas a little bit. I don't know. 

But what I do know is that if anyone so much as tries to come up to me and apologize even though I've never spoken to them a day in my life, I'm going to scream.  

"Hey, you okay?" Lucas asks me when he pulls into his parking spot and realizes that I haven't made a move to grab any of my things.  

"I'm fine," I say with a terse nod, but judging by the way that my stomach is in complete and total knots, I am very far from fine. "And that rhymed, by the way." 

He grins at me, obviously happy that I'm okay enough to joke, but I can still see the underlying worry touching his handsome features. He says, "Wonderful, Nay. But seriously...you okay? I can bring you home right now if you want me to." 

I stick my tongue out at him, trying to play my worry off like it's nothing. Although I am anxious to get this day over and done with, I want to deal with it. Missing a lot of school has always made me nervous due to overloads in makeup work and such, and I've already missed two weeks. That's far too much for me. 

And I want to show the people here that I'm strong and that this tragedy won't bring me down. 

I say, "Shut up. Now let's just get today over with, alright?" 

Still looking a bit unwary because I know he's completely aware of my false confidence, Lucas says, "Fine. But if you ever want to leave just text me and I'll bring you." 

"Oh my God," I say exasperated, rolling my eyes at his over caring but secretly loving the way it makes my heart feel all warm and happy inside of my chest. I reach down and grab my book sack from where it's resting by my feet and then go to hop out of the Jeep, but his hand on my arm stops me directly in my tracks. "What?" I demand, whirling around to face him. 

But before I can even listen in for an answer, he's gripped the back of my head and pulled my face in so that his lips can press sweetly against mine. The kiss only lasts for a few split seconds, but my face is still red and my lips are still tingly when he pulls away and rests his forehead against mine. He says, "I just don't know how long it'll be until I can do that again." 

"So cheesy," I tease, but completely contradict my insult when I lean in and give him another quick peck just because I feel like it and just because his lips are so tasty. 

Moments later he cuts the engine to the car and we both hop out, him coming around and meeting me with a grabbing of my hand. Already I see people aware that he's not getting out of a car with Destiny and that, seconds later, their curious eyes dart down to our intertwined hands.  

It's funny, their reactions. Well, it mostly kind of pisses me off that they're so in shock that Lucas would actually step down from Destiny to me, but it's better for me if I just say that I find it funny. I'm not in the state right now to start being pissed off at people. It's kind of early for me anyways, to get annoyed with the students here. Usually it takes a little bit longer.