Chapter 6: Same Place, Same Time

It has been a year since King Tae Jo (Wang Geon) took over the throne. During this one year,  the Crown Prince's status was taken away as he committed a crime of violating the royal rules. Even though King Tae Jo wanted to give his brother a chance to live in the countryside for the rest of his life, the ministers does not allow as they were afraid he might hurt the King. 

The ministers manipulated and brainwashed the young King as they forces him to kill his own brother. They used the citizens of Goryeo as a bait to convince the King to remove his brother from the world. As Goryeo was a new dynasty, they do not have much power on their own. King Tae Jo was once again forced to marry Queen Shin Hye and Queen Jang Hwa to unify the kingdom with their allies to create more power for Goryeo.  

Now that Goryeo was much more stable than before, King Tae Jo decided to step over his ministers to rule his own land.

//

King Tae Jo (age 21) sat in his throne seat with an emotionless face as he listened to the ministers in the royal court hall. 

"Recently, there has been a rumour about illegal drug trading." Minister Yoo reported. 

"Do you have any proof?" Minister Oh, standing opposite Minister Yoo retaliated. 

"There has indeed been a lot of traders coming in to Goryeo recently, Cheon na." Minister Yoo continued. 

"Cheon na, the number of bandits entering Goryeo has rised incredulously as well. They have been threatening and bribing the store owners to surrender their goods so that they can pass on to the people outside the border in return of gold." Minister Park reported.

"How dare they." The King mumbled to himself in displeasure. "How long has this been going on?" 

"For about a month, Cheon na."

"A month...and you only tell me this now?" King Tae Jo stared ruthlessly at Minister Park.

Minister Park suddenly felt nervous as he reported back, "They have been doing it secretly. But recently they were coming in bigger groups, Cheon na." 

"I shall see to it personally." King Tae Jo's affirmation allowed Minister Park to release the tension that he has been holding on to. 

Once the discussion was over, the ministers quickly scampered away in fear they may be the King's target now that he has changed to a man with his own thinking. Only Minister Yoo and the King's right hand man, Yong Jun stayed.

"What do you wish to say Minister Yoo?" King Tae Jo asked.

"Cheon na, I am thinking it's about time you held a marriage ceremony with my daughter Soon Sung." Minister Yoo dared to request upon the King's approval.

King Tae Jo took a deep breath as he pondered on how to reply. He knew it was Minister Yoo's effort and hard work that he was able to be sitting at where he was now however, he does not have any feelings for Lady Soon Sung.

"Cheon na, Soon Sung has waited for your answer long enough. Please do consider this quickly." Minister Yoo reminded.

Waited long enough? Ha. It has only been a week since we last met...Does she really want to be my wife that badly? Or perhaps she desire the status of being my Queen...?

At the same topic that he had heard ample times throughout the past three months, the King simply shook it off as he usually would. "I will think about it."

Minister Yoo bowed once again towards the King as he felt a tinge of anger rising from him. How long does King Tae Jo attempt to push away this marriage? Has he forgotten who made him King? 

After Minister Yoo has left, the King finally returned back to his old self.

"Jun ah." He called for Yong Jun.

"Yes, Cheon na." His loyal man answered.

"What would Goryeo gain if I accepted this marriage?" To the King's question, Yong Jun became flustered and was speechless. "Minister Yoo is a influential man, I assume if I marry his daughter, Goryeo would gain more power as before? Just like how Queen Shin Hye and Queen Jang Hwa had benefitted Goryeo. Am I right?" 

Yong Jun looked in to the King's eyes as he felt sorry for the fate of the Prince he once used to know. 

//

Later that night, King Tae Jo decided to execute his secret plan to capture the leader of the bandits. He had received the letter that his uncle (Master Tae Goon) sent stating that the bandits would be meeting in the forest for trade with another group of thieves.

The King and his loyal retainers hid behind the bushes as they witness the trade between two bandit leaders. 

"The one with the hat is the man we have to capture. His real name is Lee Ho Bun but every body calls him Ho." Yong Jun whispered to the King and he narrowed his eyes. 

There were quite a few chests around and Ho instructed his bandit to open the chest. A huge amount of white powder was revealed. The other party dapped his finger in to the powder and he then nodded to his people to pass the goods to Ho. 

"So the drug trading and bandits are related huh...Wait 'till I capture all of them back to dungeon. Jun, be prepared to attack." King Tae Jo ordered in a whisper and the retainers slowly made their way closer to the bandits.

"What do you think you doing on my land?!" The King shouted angrily as he slashes down one of the bandit lightly. "Capture them!" 

"Protect the goods!" The bandits shouted eagerly as they took out their swords to fight back. 

"You shall pay back to your wrong doings!" King Tae Jo yelled at Ho as he attempted to slash Ho's arm.

However, the King was not focused enough to sense someone at his back. "Jo!" Yong Jun shouted but it was too late. King Tae Jo was slashed at his back and he fell forward in pain. 

"I will kill you!" Yong Jun threatened as he killed the man who hurt the King. "Jo, stay with me." He hugged the King in his arms as the King trembled. "C-catch...them..." The King managed to say despite the searing pain. 

"Capture the rest! Do not let them escape!" Yong Jun commanded as he carried King Tae Jo on to his back and flee away from the scene. 

The two men were running away once again but now, it was Tae Jo who was hurt. They arrived to the same clinic before and Yong Jun banged against the door to ask for help. A young lady opened the door and got surprised when she recognised the two men standing in front of her.

"Y...you..." She stuttered as she recalled the both of them.

"He is injured, please help." Yong Jun pleaded.

"Come inside." Soo Yeon opened the door for them to enter.