Chapter 20: Camilla Citron Tea

There has been a series of examinations in Damiwon Palace for the past one year. Throughout this one year, Soo Yeon was promoted to senior and had access to most of the resources due to her talent. The upper management had high expectations of her and the juniors that Soo Yeon took over all had outstanding results. 

And during this one year, Queen Yoo had also given birth to a lovely prince. His first birthday would be held in a week's time and Damiwon Palace was even busier than usual. All of the ladies were stressing over their tea making skills and also thinking of a special tea performance for the royal prince.

"Lady Oh, would this flower arrangement be good? Or do you think this colour suits the bouquet better?" One of her student asked.

Soo Yeon examined the bouquet and gently look over at the different flowers displayed on the table. Her eyes rested upon the blue delphinium and she gently reached for it. She puts in the blue delphinium in the bouquet and arranged the colours of the flowers in it. 

"This is wonderful." She smiled as she gave her final acceptance. 

"Ah...Thank you Lady Oh!" Her student bowed gratefully as she stared in awe at the beautiful arrangement Soo Yeon had made. 

"Lady Oh, would you please have a taste of the tea that I made? I feel that something's missing in the flavour." A junior came over and sought for Soo Yeon's suggestion.

Soo Yeon took over the cup of tea and sipped it carefully. "Please re-make the tea, make sure the tea leaves are not over-boiled this time round." She gave her comment. 

"I will take note of it!" The junior said happily as she finally knew what went wrong. 

Just then, Court Lady Han came in to the room and all of the students bowed towards her. Soo Yeon caught their attention and looked towards the door.

"Lady Oh, please see me for a while." Court Lady Han called and Soo Yeon followed after.

"Is there anything you need?" She asked curiously as she wondered what other duties the upper management have for her. To be honest, she enjoyed all these duties given to her and had never once complained about the mistreatment even though her friends and juniors sometimes felt injustice for Soo Yeon.

"I know you have been assisting a lot and I do not wish to give you any more duties but this is an important order from Court Lady Kim." Court Lady Han sighed while Soo Yeon listened patiently.

"You are assigned to Queen Yoo during the celebration. Soo Yeon ah...you are the best in our cohort. Please do us proud and give your all to Queen Yoo." Court Lady Han grinned brightly as she reached for Soo Yeon's hands. 

"R-really? I'm serving the Queen for such an important ceremony? Thank you for putting your faith in to me Court Lady Han! I will do my best and definitely not disappoint Damiwon!" Soo Yeon bowed with gratitude several times which made Court Lady Han laughed.

"Soo Yeon ah! You got to be aware of your status here now! What if your juniors and students see you bowing so many times?" Court Lady Han reminded as she controlled her laughter. 

"But I am so happy!" Soo Yeon revealed jovially.

"I am sure you will do well." Court Lady Han encouraged.

//

The day finally arrived and some of Soo Yeon's juniors helped her in preparing for the celebration. Court Lady Han walked in to Soo Yeon's room and was mesmerised by the beauty of Soo Yeon in the gorgeous hanbok. She knew she had chosen the right person to be the visual of Damiwon Palace. 

"The hanbok really suits you. It brings out the elegance in you." Court Lady Han praised. 

"I'm so excited and nervous at the same time." Soo Yeon said. 

"Do your best like always and you will be fine. Now, are you ready? I will bring you to the Queen's chamber for greeting." Court Lady Han explained. 

The hems of the hanbok swayed as the group of ladies proceeded to the Queen's chambers. The excitement in the Queen's chambers could be heard all the way from the garden outside. The laughters and congratulations from the ministers filled the room with joy. 

"Mama, Court Lady Kim from Damiwon Palace has arrived to congratulate you." The eunuch announced as the ladies stood outside the door patiently.

"Let them in." A woman's voice called from the room.

As the door opened, the people in the room directed their attention towards the Damiwon ladies as the striking scene made their heart throbbed.

"Congratulations to the 3rd prince for his first birthday, Mama. We wishes the prince a prosperous future and good health. Here is the bouquet that we have thought carefully and made sincerely for the 3rd prince. The flowers in our bouquet symbolises health, luck, love and happiness. May all of his highness's wishes come true." Court Lady Kim bowed while the rest of her juniors followed suit. 

Soo Yeon went ahead and bowed down as Court Lady Han presented the bouquet to the Queen. 

"Such lovely flowers, thank you all so much." Queen Yoo complimented sincerely and laughed. All of the people in the chamber caught on to the contagious laughter as they nodded their head in agreement. "Court Lady Yoon, help me to place the flowers in Prince Wang Yo's room later." She instructed to her servant.

"Yes Mama." Court Lady Yoon bowed and she accepted the bouquet.

"Mama, we have another gift for you. We will love to serve you one of our best teas in Damiwon Palace." Court Lady Kim continued as she nodded for the ladies to prepare the tea set.

"How blessed am I." Queen Yoo said delightfully as she waited.

Soo Yeon kneeled in front of the table and started to perform the tea making gracefully. The room was settled in a comfortable silence; only the soft soundings of the cling and clangs of the tea making resonated around the room. 

She gracefully mixed the crushed tea leaves in to the tea pot, and poured hot water in to it as she waited for a few minutes for the flavour to come out. A light pleasant smell slowly spread across the room and the smell comforted everybody's mind. 

Soo Yeon took the tea pot carefully and poured it in to a big tea holder before putting down the tea pot. She took the tea holder with love as she poured the content in to the first cup. Slowly, she proceeded to the second cup. She took the cups and offered it to the Queen in a mini tray. 

"Mama, this is Chamomile Citron tea. We have taken in to concern that you have been experiencing insomnia regularly. This tea can help to relax and calm your nerves; so that you will be able to rest well." Soo Yeon explained with confidence. 

Court Lady Yoon took a sip from the first cup for tasting before allowing the Queen to consume it. Queen Yoo sipped the tea with gracefulness and a smile slowly formed on her face as she drinks the tea. 

The people in the room sighed a breath of relief as they see Queen Yoo smiling.

"This tea is very delicious. I am sure I will have a good night's sleep today." Queen Yoo complimented as she smiled happily. 

"It is our honour to receive your compliments, Mama." Court Lady Kim commented and all of the Damiwon ladies bowed in gratitude towards Queen Yoo. 

Queen Yoo directed her gaze to Soo Yeon as she asked, "Would you make this tea for me again tomorrow?" 

Soo Yeon was not expecting the request from Queen Yoo and she looked at her in surprise. She immediately looked down as her heart pounded with excitement. "Yes Mama, I am more than willing to serve you tea whenever you like." 

Queen Yoo nodded merrily as she was glad she could taste the tea again.