Chapter 21: Longing

"You have made us proud." Court Lady Kim praised when they were back in Damiwon Palace. She had called in Soo Yeon to compliment her for increasing the reputation of Damiwon Palace. 

"Thank you for giving me this chance to serve Queen Yoo." Soo Yeon bowed contentedly. 

"Do serve the Queen well in the future. Make any tea she wishes to drink." Court Lady Kim approved as she dismisses Soo Yeon back to her room.

"The star has returned!" Ri Na said impressively when Soo Yeon entered the room. 

"Oh Soo Yeon ah! I heard everything from Court Lady Han! I can't believe I'm best friends with the Queen's best tea lady!" It was not the first time Yuri had popped in to their room and she squealed at the sight of Soo Yeon.

"Aren't you girls being too exaggerated? The Queen only asked for me to serve her tea tomorrow." Soo Yeon said shyly as she headed towards the dresser table.

"How amazing was that?! I wished I was at the room to witness the whole conversation!" Yuri sighed with a regretful tone.

"Me too. You did great Soo Yeon ah. I'm proud of you as my room mate!" Ri Na grinned from ear to ear. 

"Really? Who was the one who looked down upon me when I first arrived in Damiwon Palace?" Soo Yeon gave a teasing expression as she faces Ri Na.

"Ah seriously...Don't bring that up anymore. I'm so sorry for the way I treated you though." Ri Na lowered her head in embarrassment.

"It's okay...I have already forgiven you long ago." Soo Yeon chuckled as she took out the hair pin from her head. "Has Queen Jang Hwa's health improved recently?" 

"Well...I started to brew Licorice tea for Queen Jang Hwa, and she was able to consume some porridge." Ri Na updated.

"That's good to hear..." Soo Yeon smiled in relief. 

"Both of my besties are serving the Queens and I am still here, with no one to serve." Yuri commented sadly as she curled herself in to a ball.

"Come on, get a grip Yuri! This is the reason why you could never give your best in tea making!" Ri Na scolded as she threw a pillow towards Yuri.

"Ya! Can't you treat me a little better? I'm already dispirited over here!" Yuri shouted back.

"Yuri ah, it's time for you to return to your room. Court Lady Sun would be making rounds to spot check soon." Soo Yeon said.

"Soo Yeon ah...are you chasing me out now?" Yuri made a crying face.

"N-no, you got it all wrong! I'm just worried you would be scolded by Court Lady Sun again." Soo Yeon quickly defended herself.

"SHIN YURI, WHERE ARE YOU?!" Just then, Court Lady Sun's voice could be heard clearly from the corridor and all of the three girls jumped.

"Aish...got to go!!" Yuri quickly scampered out of the room and sure enough, Court Lady Sun reprimanded her and asked her to sweep the courtyard for the rest of the week. 

//

The next day, it was time for Queen Yoo's bedtime. Soo Yeon had once again prepared for the Camilla Citron tea and she carefully brought it to Queen Yoo's chambers. To her surprise, there seemed to be a visitor in the Queen's chamber and Soo Yeon was unsure if she could just go inside.

"Let her in." Queen Yoo instructed and Soo Yeon walked in to the room cautiously. 

"Ah Soo Yeon ah, you're here." Queen Yoo greeted happily but to Soo Yeon's surprise, King Tae Jo was seated alongside Queen Yoo with his arms wrapped around Queen Yoo's shoulder. 

His arms fell a little off her shoulders and Queen Yoo couldn't help but wondered why? This was the first time ever Soo Yeon and King Tae Jo had seen the face of one another in the palace. Soo Yeon's heart pounded rapidly as she stared at King Tae Jo with a shocked face. 

However, at the sight of Queen Yoo's gaze, she quickly diminished her expression to a calmed one as she bowed politely towards the couple. "Greetings to you Cheon na and Mama. Did you sleep well last night, Mama?" 

"Oh yes I did, I was craving for your tea ever since yesterday." Queen Yoo smiled.

"I'm glad it helped you a little, Mama. I have brewed the tea you requested for tonight." Soo Yeon explained as she placed the tray on the table after receiving approval.

"Is this the tea that you were talking about?" King Tae Jo questioned and Queen Yoo quickly replied, "Yes Cheon na. Pour a cup for Cheon na as well." Queen Yoo instructed Soo Yeon and she bowed.

King Tae Jo stared intensely at Soo Yeon's every actions while she made tea. His gaze made her nervous but Soo Yeon tried to ignore her own feelings as she poured the tea gracefully into the cup. Today was the second time King Tae Jo tasted Soo Yeon's tea; and surely her skills had improved extremely and that made King Tae Jo yearned for her even more. 

Soo Yeon gently took the cup of tea and offered it to King Tae Jo. "Please enjoy it." She said softly as she dared not to look at King Tae Jo's face.

King Tae Jo slowly reaches for the tea and Soo Yeon's eyes trailed along with the hands of King Tae Jo's. He finally took a sip and Soo Yeon felt her heart stopped as she waited anticipated for the King's praise.

"Delicious." The King smiled and complimented and Queen Yoo let out a breath of relief.

"Isn't it?" Queen Yoo grinned.

"The taste of the tea is very pleasant, and it soothes my mind. I guess I'll be having a good night's sleep tonight as well." King Tae Jo added.

"I'm glad you like it." Soo Yeon bowed in gratitude as she secretly smiled to herself. She waited at the corner of the room while the King and Queen had their intimate moments together accompanied by the tea Soo Yeon made. 

"How is Prince Wang Yo? Is he still crying for you in the middle of the night?" King Tae Jo asked in concern.

"Yo is still crying occasionally but his nanny is looking after him well." Queen Yoo replied.

Soo Yeon's heart broke a little as she listened to the conversation of the King and Queen. She stood with an envious heart as she longed for the touch of King Tae Jo's as well. Why had she fallen in love with a King who belonged to everyone and not only her?

"It is already late for the night. Rest well my Queen." King Tae Jo stroked her head as Queen Yoo looked down shyly.

"Would you visit me again tomorrow?" She questioned as the King looked at her sweetly.

"I will make time." The King said and stood up from the seat. The Queen accompanied the King to the exit and Soo Yeon took the chance to keep the tea sets.

"Thank you for looking after my Queen." King Tae Jo thanked Soo Yeon after he talked to Queen Yoo at the exit when Soo Yeon made her way out.

"I am honoured by your compliments, Cheon na." Soo Yeon bowed respectfully.

"Please come by my chamber tomorrow again Soo Yeon ah..." Queen Yoo said as she sent both of her favourite people off.

//

As Soo Yeon was about to make a turn towards Damiwon Palace, King Tae Jo stopped her by calling her. Soo Yeon turned with anticipation as she waited for the King's words.

"Could you...nevermind. Please serve the Queen well tomorrow too." He smiled gently as he waited for her reply.

Soo Yeon was disappointed to be honest but she must not show her feelings; not in front of so many servants who might accused her.

"Yes Cheon na. I will do my best." She bowed gracefully as she sees the King off to his chamber.