Chapter 24: Pregnant

"Time really flies huh? After today, we will be promoted to Court Lady for the new year." Ri Na sighed as she continued reading the book she had on her desk. 

Ri Na, Soo Yeon and Yuri; with the batch of classmates had passed successfully for their examination last month. All of the ladies had prepared and worked really hard to showcase their talents and worth to be the Court Ladies of Damiwon Palace. The new year would be coming soon in a few weeks time and the ladies were busy once again with the new duties.

"Soo Yeon?" Ri Na directed her gaze towards Soo Yeon as she did not receive a respond. Soo Yeon was covering her mouth and she looked very uncomfortable. "Are you alright? You have been feeling sick for the past two months. Shall I call in a physician for you?" 

Soo Yeon tried to swallow the bile that was already up her throat and she pressed her mouth tightly to prevent herself from vomiting. She wondered what was wrong with her body even though her diet or routines were as per normal. 

"No...I am fine. It's probably stress since we've been working hard for the past few months." Soo Yeon assured as she took out a cloth to wipe her mouth.

"Shall I brew herbal tea for you?" Ri Na suggested as she was already leaving her desk.

"Thank you." Soo Yeon thanked weakly as her room mate left for the kitchen.

Soo Yeon clenched on to her chest as she covered her mouth. There was surely one thing troubling her other than the weird symptoms her body was showing. Certainly, her period had skipped for the past two months too.

"It can't be..." Soo Yeon said nervously as she thought of the possibility that she might be pregnant. But then again, the symptoms were really similar to one who was pregnant. As Soo Yeon was alone in her room, she quickly took out the acupuncture pouch her father had gave her and started to do a basic check up for herself. 

"Oh Soo Yeon ah, could you help me to choose which bracelet's colour would suit me better for the photoshoot tomorrow?" Yuri suddenly bursted in to the room with a small box and Soo Yeon jumped. 

Tomorrow Jong Suk would be coming in to the palace again to draw the group painting as well as individual portraits for the ladies in Damiwon. These paintings would be placed in the palace's art gallery for the first week of the new year and brought back to Damiwon art gallery. It's also a sort of an advertisement for new talented girls to join the batch in tea making.

"You're feeling unwell again?" She asked in concern when she saw Soo Yeon about to poke in the needle. "Now that I think of it...you haven't had your period right? Usually you will cry for cramps but it's been a while since I last heard you complaining though." 

"What? Oh...I..." Soo Yeon was speechless. 

"Soo Yeon ah, drink this tea and you will feel better...Oh Yuri! What's your problem again?" Ri Na asked as she walked in to the room. 

"I needed suggestions on which bracelet suits me better?" Yuri had a dozen of bracelet on her arms as she stretched them out for Soo Yeon and Ri Na to see. 

"Seriously? Are you sure you wouldn't be hidden among the ladies?" Ri Na teased as she gave Yuri a comical look. 

"At least I put in effort to look more beautiful in the painting! Who knows maybe the painter would be mesmerised by my beauty when he draws my face?" Yuri suddenly looked away shyly as she daydreamed.

"Come on! Everybody in Damiwon Palace knows you're interested in Jong Suk. But clearly he doesn't feel anything for you. It's best you stop day dreaming." Ri Na commented as she pours a cup of tea for Soo Yeon.

"Ya! Kim Ri Na! Can't you not spoil my dreams for a day? Seriously though..." Yuri said in a pissed off tone as she begun keeping her bracelets.

"The both of you never changed even though it's going to my two years here. Yuri ah, I think the jade bracelets suit you very well. It brings out the beauty in you." Soo Yeon complimented as she grinned.

"See? I knew asking Soo Yeon was the right choice! You should learn to be more well-mannered like Soo Yeon!" Yuri said as she admired the jade bracelets that Soo Yeon had suggested.

//

The morning arrived the next day and Soo Yeon felt even worse now that she acknowledges the changes in her body. She vomited in the pot in the room; awakening Ri Na and causing her to panic at the horrible sight. 

"We can't neglect this any longer! I will call in the physician!" Before Soo Yeon could stop her, Ri Na had already left the room. 

Soo Yeon laid down on her bed while the royal physician attend to her weak body. Ri Na, Yuri, and Court Lady Sun were inside the room awaiting for the results. The physician finally turned to the three ladies as he announced, "She is two months pregnant."

The room went silent for a few minutes as the three ladies; as well as Soo Yeon tried to digest what the physician had just said. 

"What?! Pregnant?!" Yuri yelped and Ri Na quickly covered her mouth to prevent other people from hearing.

"A-are you sure?" Court Lady Sun asked calmly and the physician nodded to confirm.

Soo Yeon had tears trickling down her eyes as she stared at the ceiling in shock. She never expected herself to get pregnant. What more, to the King's child. 

After the physician left, Court Lady Sun crouched down and sat beside Soo Yeon. She sighed and gently reached for Soo Yeon's hands. "Who is the father?" She asked straightforwardly.

"Yeah, who are you seeing? How come you didn't tell us you got a boyfriend?" Yuri blurted and that made Soo Yeon even more sad. 

"Ya! Soo Yeon has the right to keep her relationship a secret you know." Ri Na quickly defended.

"Keep quiet the both of you! Leave us alone for now." Court Lady Sun scolded irritatedly as she chased the two ladies out of the room. "Don't worry, you can tell me." Court Lady Sun turned towards the door to check that it was really closed and not a single opening could be seen. 

She leaned forward to Soo Yeon and stared in to her seriously as she whispered, "Is the baby...the King's?"

Soo Yeon's eyes grew wide as she was not expecting Court Lady Sun to know about her relationship with King Tae Jo. If she knows, does that mean the people in the palace knows as well?

She refused to speak as she lowered her gaze, avoiding the look of Court Lady Sun. 

Court Lady Sun finally got up and sighed worriedly. "So it is...I should have came out with an excuse to stop you from meeting him when I know about your nightly visits. Now it's too late..."

"Does everyone in the palace know...? Does Queen Yoo...know?" Soo Yeon asked in a trembled tone. 

Court Lady Sun shook her head and smiled, "No. No one knew about it except for me. As your in-charge, it's sooner or later I would find out you're not in your room. In fact, I always make excuses to defend you when your room mate ask about your whereabouts."

"What should I do now...?" Soo Yeon begged Court Lady Sun to give her a solution. 

"For now, keep quiet about your pregnancy. I will also shut the mouths of Ri Na and Yuri; as well as the physician." Court Lady Sun suggested and that made Soo Yeon relax a little.