Chapter 11

Cassie, who was frantically trying to recall the events of the previous night, did not notice the deadly hush that suddenly descended on the room. Mr Reynolds had just left Ellington's side. He had walked towards the expectant audience and had put up his right hand to silence them. Once everyone was quiet, he said, in a loud, clear voice, looking over to Emerald, 'is everyone here?' She nodded and smiled in return. Then he said, 'we shall begin.'

Mr Reynolds took a deep breath and addressed the gathered assembly. He said, with the same loud, clear voice, 'you are probably wondering why we have called a meeting so early in the morning. Unfortunately, after the events of last night, we feel that we have been left with little choice.' He stopped and looked over at Ellington, who nodded for him to continue. He took a deep breath and then took another step forward towards his audience. 'Major Ellington and I, expect loyalty from every single one of you, no matter who you are. We expect our orders, whatever they may be, to be carried out to the letter. In return for your cooperation, we make sure that you are looked after, and you have everything you could possibly need. Without our invaluable help, many of you would be on the streets, plying your trade for a pittance in the doorways of London. We give you food and shelter, and, more importantly, our protection.'

As he spoke, he strolled over to a chair and leant against it. He stopped and looked at his audience to gauge the effect his words were having on them. Happy that everyone was looking at him expectantly, he continued. 'We do not ask for much,' he said seriously, 'just loyalty.'

After another long pause, he left the chair and walked back towards his audience. 'Last night,' he eventually said, 'someone in this room lied to us and tried to mislead us.'

There was a gasp from the room, and the gentle murmur of conversation could again be heard. Mr Reynolds put up his hand, once more, to silence them. Once the murmur had died down, he continued. 'Major Ellington asked this person to do one simple thing, but they ignored their duty.' He looked out at the sea of faces that were looking at him, and said, 'not only did they disobey his direct orders, they also smuggled into the club unsanctioned visitors.'

There was another gasp, and the buzz of conversation began to crescendo throughout the salon. Cassie, who was now visibly shaking, heard one of the girls, who was sitting directly in front of her whisper, 'who could it be?' Her companion replied earnestly, 'I don't know! But, I wouldn't want to be in her shoes. Have you seen the Major? I don't think I've ever seen him look so angry.'

The sick feeling, in the pit of Cassie's stomach, intensified, as she slowly began to realise that he was talking about her. She was beginning to remember more from the previous evening. Not only had Verity been here, in this very room, but her sister had witnessed first-hand her own shameful behaviour.

She looked around the room for the nearest exit and was about to leave when Emerald grabbed her roughly by the arm. 'No, you don't,' she whispered fiercely, 'you are to stay here and take your punishment.'

Cassie looked up and saw that Major Ellington, his expression dark and foreboding, was walking purposefully towards her. The cheroot that she had been holding fell to the floor, as she stood frozen to the spot, every muscle in her body paralysed by fear. Once he reached her, he seised her arms and began to drag her roughly towards the front of the room. 'This is the bitch that openly defied me,' he said through gritted teeth.

Once they had reached the front of the room, he threw her down onto the floor. 'Get up,' he snarled.

Cassie tried to lift herself up, but she did not have any strength left in her body. 'I cannot,' she said weakly, 'please.'

'I'll help you then,' he said, as he grabbed hold of her hair and pulled her up from the floor.

Cassie cried out, but the pain did not stop, it only intensified as he pulled her hair harder. 'Let go, please, let go. I will stand,' she cried out.