Chapter 28

Earlier that morning, part-way through Miss Cavendish's unexpected visit, Damien's memories, the memories that had been tantalisingly out of reach since his accident, suddenly returned. It was when the young lady reminded him about the miniature that her father, Sir Henry Cavendish, had taken from him, that they suddenly reappeared. It had shocked and saddened him when he had realised that he had forgotten a part of his life that had become so important to him; his dear Cassie.

As Miss Cavendish described to him the woman in the miniature, with her golden hair and expressive blue eyes, he had felt a deep sense of loss. He immediately knew that she had been precious to him. He remembered their time in Brussels when she had nursed him back to health after Waterloo. He remembered that she had come back with him to Abbotgate and had become an integral part of the running of his household. He remembered that she was much more to him than just a friend; she was his lover. Damien, during the past year, had found the happiness and contentment that he thought would always allude him in her arms. And, after everything they had been through together, he had left her alone, with no explanation for his absence, for three weeks.

When Miss Cavendish told him that her father had shown the miniature to two gentlemen, he became increasingly concerned for Cassie's safety. But it was not until Miss Cavendish had mentioned the man's name, Major Ellington, that a cold fear gripped his heart. He then began to remember the first time he had seen her. She had been alone, naked and chained to the wall in that filthy cellar. There had been deep red, raw wounds across her back, that had been the result of a savage and prolonged whipping. He remembered the fear in her eyes, as he had entered the chamber. And he remembered the name of the man, who had caused her that pain; Major Stephan Ellington.

'Oh Cassie,' he said to himself, as he quickly readied himself for the journey, 'I have left you for far too long.'

From the conversation that Miss Cavendish had overheard earlier that day, he was in no doubt that Ellington was intent on finding her. He had become increasingly aware that it would be easy for Ellington to find the location of Abbotgate from Mr Morton's offices. Damien had known that Ellington would stop at nothing to get her back under his control. Meeting him again had been Cassie's greatest fear, and she had warned him many times that Ellington would never give up the search for her. She had told him that he would move heaven and earth to bring her back to the brothel where she had lived. She had also told him that once she had returned, Ellington would punish her for her desertion.

As Damien descended the steps of Limington Place and walked across the pavement to his awaiting carriage, he prayed that he was not going to be too late. He spoke briefly to the coachman, who nodded with recognition when Damien told him the direction of Abbotgate House. As he ascended the steps into the well-sprung carriage, with his unfamiliar family crest emblazoned on the door, he glanced up at Limington Place.

Over the past weeks, even with his failing memory, he had known that there had been something missing in this new life that had been thrust upon him. This morning, Miss Cavendish had provided him with enough information to fill in some of the missing gaps in his memory. Once he had begun to remember some of his past, the rest soon came flooding back. And, over the past hour, he had come to realise that all his newly acquired wealth and status, paled into insignificance when he thought of what he had left behind at Abbotgate: the woman he loved.

It was late that evening when Damien's carriage finally approached Abbotgate House. During their last stop to change the horses, he had asked the coachman to draw the carriage up just outside the main entrance. Throughout the day, he had plenty of time to mull over the conversation he had had with Miss Cavendish, earlier that day. He knew that Ellington would have left very early that morning and had more than likely already reached Abbotgate. It was a frightening thought for Damien when he realised that Ellington may well have found her and had already taken her away. But he had to hold onto the fact that there may still be a slim chance that Ellington would have decided to remain with her at Abbotgate, even if it was for just one night.