Chapter 14

It was three o'clock in the morning, after a busy day, but Betsy could still not sleep. She knew it was futile to even attempt to try, so she sat in the kitchen on a wooden chair, by the side of the fire, staring at the glowing embers.

Only a few hours ago, Betsy had listened quietly, as Joe and Captain Laws, sat at the kitchen table, and discussed their plans for the evening ahead. Over many years, she had patiently listened to them, but, even after all this time, it did not get any easier. She had never raised any objections to his involvement in any mission he had undertaken with Captain Laws. She had learnt, from experience, that any concerns she might raise, could compromise his ability to do the job he loved.

But, as she stood in the shadows, she was overcome by a sense of unease. What they were describing, was not a run of the mill military mission. It was a rescue of a young woman, that neither of them knew, from a place with a dubious, at best, reputation. She had felt a little nauseous, when she had over-heard Captain Laws say to Joe, in a low, serious voice. 'This mission has not been sanctioned by headquarters. If we are caught, there is nothing they will do to help us. We're on our own.'

While the two men were still talking, Betsy had decided that she had to confide her worries to Joe. She wanted to know why he was willing to risk his life, for a woman; a woman, who was someone else's problem. She also wanted to know why it had to be him that risked his life and reputation, taking part in a mission that had not been officially sanctioned.

Later that night, while Joe was preparing to go, she saw her opportunity to talk to him. 'Joe,' she had said, with apprehension in her voice, 'do you have to go out tonight?'

Joe smiled at her sweetly. 'Now, my love,' he said softly, as he touched her cheek tenderly, 'you should know better than to worry about me. I'm like a cat, I've got nine lives, and I think I've got at least two left.'

'Don't joke,' she said, moving away from him and busying herself with some unnecessary household chore, 'you know I don't like it when you put yourself in danger.'

He went over to her and put his arms around her waist. 'Betsy,' he said softly, 'I have to go. I can't let the Captain go by himself. You know all too well the trouble he'll get himself into without me by his side, holding his hand.'

'I don't like it,' she replied, shaking off his embrace, 'I don't want to lose you.'

'I'd be much happier if you married me,' Joe said, looking at Betsy seriously.

'Oh Joe,' Betsy said, her eyes downcast, 'we have agreed that marriage is not possible.'

'No, Betsy,' he said softly, 'you have agreed. I have always wanted you to be my wife. Nothing's changed. Please think about it, even if it's for the sake of the kiddies.'

'Joe, I can't. Not after...' she said, her voice trailing away.

'I'm nothing like Jem,' he said, with feeling, 'I love you Betsy, and I would never do anything to hurt you.'

'It's not that,' Betsy said defensively, 'I know you are nothing like Jem, but...'

'If it's that odd idea you have about me dying as soon as we're married, you can forget it. I'm not going to lie, I've been in some close shaves over the years. And you also know full well, I could die in my next battle, but if I do, it'll have nothing to do with our marriage.' Joe said, walking over to her and holding her hand. 'Marry me, Betsy, please,' he said, looking straight into her eyes.

'I don't know,' she said, not daring to look back at him, 'I...'

'We'll talk about this when I get back,' Joe said, as he picked up his knife and sheathed it in a leather pouch around his waist.