Chapter 24

Damien woke up that morning feeling much better. His head did not ache as much as it had done over the past few weeks, and his mind seemed almost clear of the jumbled thoughts that had been continually plaguing him since the accident. He could still not clearly remember anything that had happened in the last year, but he felt his elusive memories were now within reach.

He was also relieved that Sir Henry Cavendish, and his family, had been asked to leave his London residence. His memories may have been hazy, but he was confident that before his accident he had never met Sir Henry or his quiet and shy daughter. Mr Morton, his family solicitor, had taken one look at Sir Henry and correctly deduced that he was an opportunist, who was only after Damien's fortune.

That morning, his valet had dressed him with the care and attention that was due to his new station in life. After years on the battlefields of Spain, the smart, well-fitting clothes he now wore, were alien to him. He did not know how the brand-new garments had fitted him to perfection, and he could only marvel at his valet's skill and ingenuity. How the stern looking servant had managed to make him look so respectable, in such a short period of time, was nothing short of a miracle.

'There is a young lady to see you, my lord,' the butler announced as Damien was finishing his breakfast.

'Who is she, Saunders?' Damien asked suspiciously. It was unusual for young ladies to go to the house of a gentleman unaccompanied, and even more unusual for them to come so early in the day.

'She would not give me her name, but she said that her business with you is of an urgent and serious nature,' the butler said solemnly, not giving Damien any clues to his opinion of the lady.

Damien was wary about entertaining a lady alone so early in the day and was about to tell Saunders to dismiss her. But his overwhelming curiosity about his visitor and the possibility that her urgent business may be to do with his lost memories stopped him. 'You better show her in,' Damien said deliberately.

'Very good, my lord,' Saunders said as he left the room.

Damien did not have to wait a long time for the efficient Saunders to usher the young lady into the dining-room. When she entered, Damien stood up from his place at the end of a very long table, and looked at her critically, as she stood by the door nervously clasping her gloved hands together. It was hard for Damien to gauge the age of the woman. Her face was covered with a thick dark veil, but there was something familiar about her petite frame and the way she stood.

'Please,' Damien said as he walked over to her, 'let me take your cloak.' She gingerly removed the heavy cloak from around her shoulders and gave it to him, but she still did not speak, nor did she make any effort to remove the veil from her face. 'You do not need to be afraid of me,' Damien said reassuringly, 'everything you tell me will be in the strictest confidence.'

Damien saw that her hands shook as she lifted the veil, but once it had been pulled back to reveal her face, he recognised her immediately. 'Miss Cavendish,' he said, trying not to let the irritation he felt be heard in his voice, 'does your father know that you are here?'

'My lord,' she said apologetically, 'please forgive me for interrupting you so early in the morning, but I must speak with you.'

Damien, noting the urgency in her voice, said, 'please, Miss Cavendish, join me for breakfast.'

'Oh no,' she said emphatically, 'I could not eat a morsel.'

'At least sit-down and have some coffee,' he said as he pulled out a chair from the table next to his. 'You look very pale, and a little coffee will revive you.'