Chapter 20

The next morning Cassie was woken up by Damien entering the bedchamber. 'Good morning, Cass,' he said softly as he smiled at her from the doorway, 'I have brought you a cup of tea.' He walked over to her side of the bed and placed the cup and saucer on the bedside table. 'I know fashionable ladies always have a cup of chocolate in the morning, but I'm afraid we have none, so I have brought you the next best thing.'

Cassie stretched and sat up. 'It is a good job I am not in the least bit fashionable,' she said smiling up at him. 'Anyway, Betsy would have been disgusted at the thought of starting the day with anything less than a cup of tea.'

Damien laughed. 'Indeed, she would,' he said as he sat on the bed next to her and held her hand, 'she believed it was the panacea for every ailment.'

'Thank you,' she said as she looked at him, a tear threatening to fall down her cheek. She was touched by his kindness. Cassie could not remember a time when anyone had done anything quite as considerate for her. It may have only been a simple gesture, but it was thoughtful and one that touched Cassie deeply.

He cupped her cheek in his hand. 'Don't cry, Cass,' he said tenderly as he stroked her cheek with his fingertips. 'I did not mean to upset you last night. I should not have let you stay with me.'

'Oh, Damien,' she said as she looked at him and rested her hand on his shoulder. 'Please believe me,' she said earnestly, 'you have not upset me. Last night, I wanted to be with you. It was as much my choice as it was yours, and I do not regret it. It seems a little foolish to be crying when I feel so happy,' she said smiling through her tears.

'You do not regret what we did last night?' Damien asked her seriously.

Cassie smiled and reached over to kiss him lightly on the lips. 'No,' she said, shaking her head a little, 'I do not regret anything.'

'Good,' he said as he picked up the cup and handed it to her. After she had taken a few sips of tea, he then said, 'today I have a little treat planned for us both.'

'A treat?' she said enquiringly, 'what kind of treat?'

'Since we arrived at Abbotgate, we have both been working hard trying to put a little order into the chaos we found. I think that it is high time we have a day to ourselves.' He walked over to the curtains and opened them, letting the morning sunshine flood into the room. 'It is a beautiful day. The sun is shining, and it promises to be lovely and warm. I propose that we go to the beach for a picnic lunch and a leisurely walk.'

'Do you think that is wise?' Cassie said between sips of tea. 'Don't you have to go to town with Appleby today?'

'The farm can wait,' Damien said as he sat back down next to Cassie. 'We deserve a day to ourselves.'

It was tempting for Cassie to agree and be swept along with Damien's plan, but she wondered if she should leave the safety of the house and venture outside? Then she looked into his eyes. As soon as she saw the spark of excitement sparkle in them, she knew that she could not refuse him. Why should she not have a little fun? It had been such a long time since she had enjoyed a picnic. 'I think it's a lovely idea,' she said smiling at him.

Later that morning Cassie was sitting next to Damien in his gig that was drawn by one of the farm horses. 'Cass,' Damien said as he held the reins of the horse, 'today, I would like to take you to the beach and show you the caves where my great-grandfather used to smuggle brandy from France. Do you remember that I told you about them when we were in Brussels?'