Chapter 16

'Hello, Damien,' Cassie said, as she ran over to greet him, 'it's very late, and you must be tired.'

Damien held her in his arms and kissed her lightly on the cheek. 'I can't stay long,' he said regretfully.

'But, you need to rest,' she replied, as she touched his cheek, 'you look tired.'

Damien smiled. 'And you,' he said, pinching her nose, 'are covered in flour. What have you been doing?'

'Betsy's been teaching me how to make bread,' she said, with a mischievous smile, 'but I seem to have more flour on myself and the floor, than anywhere else.'

'Where's Joe?' he asked her, as he held her a little closer.

'He's with Betsy, helping her put the children to bed,' she said, in a whisper, leaning her head against his chest.

'Oh, Cassie,' he said tenderly, 'I don't want to leave you.'

It had been two weeks since he had first met Cassie, and they had been the happiest of his life. He had enjoyed watching her get a little better each day. Her cheeks that had been deadly pale were starting to get a rosy glow; and the dark smudges, under her eyes, were beginning to fade.

He always looked forward to the time they spent together alone. In the evening, they would talk, and at night, he would sleep with her in his arms. He knew that she would not have stopped him deepening the intimacy of their relationship, but he knew that she was still recovering, both physically and emotionally, from her treatment at the hands of Ellington. He felt a deep sense of responsibility for her, and he did not want to take advantage of her fragile state of mind.

Damien had also come to realise that he did not desire a brief affair with her, that would be over before it began. He wanted something that he had never wanted before; to settle down and spend every day, of the rest of his life, with her.

'Has it begun?' Damien heard Joe shout across the kitchen.

Damien, who was still holding Cassie, took a deep breath and let her go. 'Yes, Joe, we need to get ready.'

'Right you are, sir, I'll be ready in a jiffy,' he said, as he strode out of the kitchen.

'Come and help me get ready,' he said to Cassie, 'I want to talk to you before I go.'

Damien took her hand, and they walked towards the bedchamber.

'Would you like me to get you some hot water for a shave?' Cassie asked as Damien removed his jacket and shirt.

'No, thank you,' he said politely, as he tossed his shirt onto the chair and proceeded to remove his boots. 'I don't have time. I'll just have a quick wash using the cold water from the pitcher.'

Damien poured the cold water into a large porcelain bowl and began to wash his upper body. When he had finished, Cassie gave him a clean towel. 'Thank you,' he said, with a smile, as he took it from her and dried himself.

'Betsy's been on edge all day,' Cassie said, as she watched him put on his clean shirt, 'she's so worried about Joe.'

'I was surprised she agreed to marry him,' Damien said, as he sat on the bed and put on a new pair of breeches, 'she's been refusing him for years.'

'Did you know,' Cassie said with a smile, 'that their wedding was the first I've been to. It was so romantic.'

Damien looked up at her and smiled, 'but, I hope it won't be your last.'

'I've cleaned your boots,' Cassie said, changing the subject, 'but I'm afraid I did not make a very good job of them.'

'I'm just grateful, I didn't have to do them myself,' he said, with a smile. 'Sit down, Cass,' he said, after he had put his boots on, 'I need to talk to you.'