Chapter 25

It had been three weeks since Damian had left Abbotgate, and Cassie was still continually watching for his return. On the day she had expected him back, she had kept a vigil at the door, and had been bitterly disappointed when he had not returned. She comforted herself by assuming that his business in town was taking longer than he had expected. But, after a week had passed, she was becoming increasingly concerned at his prolonged absence, and she decided to consult Appleby on what should be done to find him.

'I wouldn't worry about the Captain if I were you,' he had told her dismissively. 'He's just spending a few more days in town. I reckon he's met up with some of his old cronies from his fighting days, and they're having a marvellous time.'

'I do not know,' Cassie had said, not at all convinced by his answer, 'he told us that he would only be three days and now it has been nearly a week.'

'Don't you worry, Miss,' Appleby said, 'he'll be back in a few days, mark my words.'

However, much to Cassie's dismay, another week passed, and there was still no sign of him. As the days wore on, she became increasingly concerned for his safety. But, whenever she broached Appleby on the subject, he always made light of her concerns, telling her that Damian was no doubt enjoying himself and would be back when he was good and ready. She had wanted Appleby to retrace Damien's route to London to find out if anything disastrous had happened to him. But Appleby, seemingly unperturbed by his master's disappearance, dismissed her suggestion and told her firmly not to worry about him.

It was now late in the afternoon, and she was sitting at the desk that Damien had used to do his estate business. Since Damien had left Abbotgate, three weeks ago, Cassie had not slept well. She was anxious and tired, and she felt that she had no one to turn to for help. She looked blankly at a few bills that had arrived that morning, when suddenly, and without any warning, Appleby entered the room. He came in and stood by the desk, looking disgruntled. 'There's a fancy looking gent here to see you,' he said acrimoniously. 'He gave me his card. A lot of use it is to me; I can't even read,' he added tossing the card unceremoniously at her. 'He told me to inform you that he knows where the Captain's holding out,' he said, as he sniffed loudly and wiped his nose on his sleeve.

Ever since Damien had left Abbotgate, Appleby had begun to harbour a deep resentment towards her. She guessed that he did not like the fact that his master had left Cassie holding the purse strings; not him. She held out her hand and took the card, ignoring the arrogant tone he used when he spoke to her.

When Cassie read the name printed in bold across the card, she felt a cold shiver run up her spine. She clearly remembered meeting him on that fateful day. The day when Damian had asked for her hand in marriage. The well-dressed gentleman may have smiled at her and spoken to her politely, but there was no mistaking the cold, hard look in his eyes. But, the overwhelming curiosity, she still felt regarding Damien's whereabouts, overcame any reservations she had regarding the gentleman's character.

As soon as the well-dressed gentleman had been shown into the library, he walked confidently over to Cassie, who was now standing by the desk. 'Good afternoon, Miss Stanford,' the gentleman said, putting the emphasis on the miss as he spoke. As he stood in front of her, he took her hand in his, raised it to his lips and slowly kissed each of her fingers. 'I am so pleased that you have found it in your heart to receive me,' he said, as he looked intently into her eyes with that cold look that was familiar to Cassie.

As his lips grazed her fingers, she felt a revulsion at his touch that she had not felt for a long time. "He knows my name," she thought to herself as she stood in front of him, trying to make sense of the incoherent jumble of memories she had in her mind. Cassie knew that this was not the time to look timid and frightened. She had to show him that she was not daunted by him. 'I do not know how you discovered my name, Mr Delaney, but I am not going to be intimidated by you,' she said haughtily, as she held her head up high in the act of defiance.