Gary x reader

After a long journey, (Y/n) had finally reached Lavender Town; a place rumored to be haunted by the ghosts of dead Pokemon. Of course, she didn't really believe it.

Making a quick trip to the Pokemon Center, she then went to visit the Pokemon Tower, to pay her respects, of course, when she saw her rival, Gary, kneeling in front of a grave, tears rolling down his face.

He was one step ahead, as usual.

"Gary?" (Y/n) asked nervously. Gary's head jerked up and he glared at you with such force, you flinched.

"What is it?" he asked harshly. "What do you want, loser? I'm not in the mood for a battle." The words stung and you took a step back.

"Well, I was going to ask if you were okay, but I guess since you don't want me around..." you mumbled, turning.

"Hold on. I'm sorry." You froze. Never before had you heard such sincerity in the spiky-haired brunette's voice.

"What? Can you repeat that?" He face-palmed, sending you another glare.

"I said, I'm sorry, you little Ketchum," he said, scowling. You blinked.

"Well, okay then, Mr. Sunshine," you said sarcastically. "Well, I've got to get to Celadon City soon, so-"

"Why did you care?" The words slipped from his lips before he could think. (Y/n) looked at him in surprise.

"Of course I care," she said softly. "I've known you since we were five. It's been ten years. And even though we don't exactly get along well, hey, you're still important to me. You have to be, after all of these years."

Failing to notice the flaming blush dusted across his cheeks that he desperately tried to hide, she reached into her jeans pocket and pulled out a small white object. "Remember this?"

"You keep that with you?" Gary asked in surprise. (Y/n) nodded. "It's the Pokeball we fought over all those years ago with your brother, huh? He got one half, I got the other, and you got the..."

"Button." (Y/n) smiled and handed the button to the teen. "Here. Take it. As good luck. And I'm very sorry about your Raticate's death..." Gary blinked.

"How did you know-"

"Hey, I'm not an idiot. I think the grave you're kneeling in front of says 'R.I.P. Raticate.' I'm sure he was a wonderful Pokemon. He had a good trainer." (Y/n) realized what she had just said and cursed at herself. Why had she said that?

"What are you talking about, (Y/n)?" Gary asked nervously. (Y/n) gave an uneasy laugh and backed away.

"Uh... see you another time, Gary! I have to uh... go now!" And she sprinted away. Did I HAVE to embarrass myself, in front of my small HUMONGOUS crush of all people?

~~~

Three years later, (Y/n) was back in Pallet Town for a visit to her mom, making breakfast for herself, her mom, and her brother, who had also come home for a visit.

Humming a cheerful tune, she tipped the eggs onto plates and set them on the table, and Ash came staggering in sleepily.

"Good morning, Champion of Kanto. You're sure looking badass this morning," you commented sarcastically.

"Hahaha, very funny, (Y/n)," Ash grinned. "Wanna go over to the Professor's after breakfast? I need to talk to him about something, and maybe you would want to play with the Pokemon."

"Yeah, sure," (Y/n) said with a smile. (Y/n), like Ash, had become a Champion, but of Hoenn. She was known as Hoenn's Princess. Now 18 years old, many men were trying to hit on her, but she pretended not to notice their hints because her heart still belonged to another-

Gary Oak.

Yes, even after three years of not seeing him, the (h/c)-haired beauty still had feelings for the spiky-haired brunet, feelings which she couldn't describe.

She couldn't help but think about him as she waited for Ash to stop stuffing eggs in his mouth and finally deem his stomach full.

"(Y/n)? (Y/n)!" Ash's voice cut into her thoughts.

"Eh?" She asked absentmindedly.

"I'm ready to go over to Professor Oak's!"

"Okay, I'm coming." The two eighteen year olds walked outside to be greeted by the sunny, warm weather of the tiny, quaint, peaceful Pallet Town.

"It's good to be home, isn't it?" Ash commented.

"You're right. I haven't realized how much I missed this place until now..." (Y/n) replied with a wistful smile.

The two arrived at Professor Oak's lab quickly, and Ash left quickly to go find Professor Oak, and (Y/n) went out to the backyard to play with the Pokemon.

Your Torchic, which you had just received from your friend in the Hoenn Region, loved coming here because the adorable chick-like Pokemon loved to play, and sometimes, with all of your work, you didn't have as much time or energy to keep up anymore.

"Torchic! Chic!" Torchic ran off to find its new friends, A.K.A. a Taillow it had met, as well as a Nidorina.

"They're a lot of Pokemon, huh?" A voice asked. (Y/n) turned and her jaw nearly dropped shock. It was HIM.

"Yeah..." (Y/n) said awkwardly. "I guess you know a lot about them, since you're Professor Oak's grandson and everything..."

"Wait, how did you know that?" Gary inquired, raising an eyebrow. "I don't think I've seen you before." (Name)'s heart dropped. Of course. Her appearance had changed drastically; she had become a lot more beautiful and dressed more maturely than she had before.

"I'm sorry, I guess I'm just another one of your crazy fan girls," she laughed without humor. She quickly returned Torchic and was about to leave when Gary stopped her. A smirk was plastered on his face. Even though when they were younger, (Y/n) would do anything to slap it off his face, now she found it attractive, and the fact that she found it attractive was incredibly annoying to her.

"Did you really think I would forget?" Gary asked.

"Forget what?" (Y/n) looked at him directly in the eyes.

"This." Gary reached into his pocket and pulled out a white circle shaped thing.

The Pokeball button.

"You actually kept it?" (Y/n) quipped, a emotional tear slipping down her cheek.

"Of course I did. It was the only thing I had to remind me of you." Gary looked at her and sighed. "I know I was an asshole, okay? I'm sorry. But what I really want to say is..." he paused. "Because I've had this Pokeball button with me this whole time, it felt like you were always THERE, y'know? I don't know, it just made me feel better..." (Y/n)'s cheeks dusted with pink.

"I never knew that even something I gave to you could make you feel like that..." she commented.

"(Y/n)... here's the thing..."

"What is it?"

"I think I love you..."

"Gary I-"

"Of course you're not single," Gary snapped. "I'm sorry for bringing up the subject. See you around."

"Gary, wait." Gary stopped for a second.

"What?"

"You know, who do you think I've been waiting for? For what? Three years? Gary... I thought it was obvious. Thought you were smarter than that. I... you know. Love you too." Ignoring your comment about him being stupid, he said,

"Whoa, really?!"

"Y-yeah..." you replied, taking a shaky breath. Gary looked you in the eyes, and you blushed a tiny bit as his arms wrapped around you in a tight embrance.

"Be mine?"

"Of course..." You smiled softly as his lips pressed against your forehead. "You know, we were lucky to have that Pokeball button. Otherwise, you would've probably forgotten about me." Gary snorted.

"Please, (Y/n). Even without that button reminding me about you, I would forget my own name before I forgot you..."