0.2

Chapter 2: Coward in the Corner

Bella hadn't expected to see Amaya Hill in Washington again, but she was proven wrong when she knocked on Billy Black's door, the blonde being the one to open it. "Amaya." She stepped back surprise, doe like brown eyes wide.

"Swan," The blue eyed girl coldly answered, the man in the wheelchair coming up behind her. He'd requested she come by, the two talking for what seemed like minutes when it really was near an hour. "Jacob isn't home."

"He left? Where is he?"

Billy's deep voice came from behind Amaya, her slim frame turning to allow him to see Bella. "He left yesterday after receiving your wedding invitation."

Bella ran her skinny fingers through her thick brown hair that had seemed to grow much longer since Amaya had last seen her. "I didn't think he'd react that way, I was just trying to be friendly."

"I'm sorry," Billy quipped. "I'll make sure you are made known when he comes home."

"I'm sorry too, Billy. I know I've caused a lot of problems for you guys, it wasn't my intention." Bella stepped backwards, the large ring still adorned her finger. "It's good to see you again, Maya, you're invited too if you want to come."

She was tempted to deny, but she could feel a pair of eyes burning into her back. "Can I bring a date?"

"I thought Jake—"

"Not Jacob," Amaya corrects.

Bella hesitated at first before she nodded eagerly, sudden excitement spreading across her face. She knew Amaya didn't like her but Bella had always been drawn to the blonde, something about her exceeding confidence bringing her in. "Of course, I'll let Alice know to set two extra spots for you."

Amaya nodded, giving an half smile before turning away, leaving the brunette to get back to her car. "You've met someone?" Billy Black questioned, his voice purely curious rather than accusatory.

"Yeah," She busied herself with an apple, using her fingers to twist the stem before turning to him, her elbows rested behind her on the counter. "His names Jax, he's really great."

"You have a picture of him?"

Amaya nodded, pulling her phone from her pocket and showing him off. He was handsome at six feet tall, his dirty blonde hair brushed back just barely reaching his shoulders. He had pretty blue eyes and tattoos kissing his skin. "He's a really great guy, lives life to the fullest. "

"I can tell, I see it in his eyes. Just be careful, Maya, love is a dangerous thing to play with."

"I don't love him," She admits honestly. "I'd rather not pull another Paul move. Jax and I are just really close, thats all."

Billy nods at her, his silence answering more than words could. He didn't think it was a good idea she grow closer with Jax, knowing that in the end she would be with Jacob, it was fate, he was who she was destined to be with. "Just be careful."

"Billy," She starts, setting her phone on the table as she takes a seat. "Do you think Jacob will ever feel something for me?"

"He already does," The old man retorts, his wrinkled face straight and serious. "He asked about you everyday, pestered Sam day and night if you'd called, if you were safe, if you were ever going to come back."

Maya looked down at her nails, ignoring the skip in her heartbeat. "Yet he never called, never apologized. He loves her Billy. Besides, the imprint doesn't say he has to be my boyfriend, we can be whatever I need and maybe all I need from is to be a friend."

"That may be, and he will be that for you," He assured, his long black hair cascading down his shoulders in waves. "—but I'm almost certain that the feelings you are beginning to have are anything but friendly or else you wouldn't have moved all the way to Chicago to get rid of them."

Brown eyes bored into blue ones, both staying connected until Amaya broke it, her shoulders slumping. "I never saw him as anything other than Bella's friend until that night at the movies, that was the first time I'd ever enjoyed his company."

"It won't be easy making these decisions, it's going to hurt and you'll have some very tough choices to make, but you're a smart girl and I have faith that you'll do the right thing."

"Can I ask another question?"

"I'm all ears."

Amaya bit her lip, bright blue painted fingers coming up to tuck her hair behind her pierced ears, a new industrial bar going through the top. "If I do choose to just be with Jake as a friend, will the tribe look at me differently? Will they think I'm betraying him in a way, because I'm not dating him like all the others do with their imprints."

There was a long moment of silence before he spoke again. "No one will judge you for your choices, but it will be a change. Not many imprints stay just friends, usually they fall in love, but that's up to you and him, whatever works best for the two of you."

"That's good to know."

Okay, so guys, I'm going to have Jax be played by the only guy I would ever love, Jax Teller from Sons of Anarchy, I think he's a good contrast against all the other guys in the show and a perfect representation of guys in Chicago, they're all diverse and march to the beat to their own drum and I'm rambling. I hope you guys like it.