0.18

Chapter 18: Turn of Events

Snow fell from the sky, its pure white color drifting down from the sky until it landed elegantly on the ground, sticking to the grass and cement. "It's today," Amaya mumbled, her bright blue eyes staring blankly at the sight before her. "Have you talked to Sam and Paul?"

"Just Sam," Jacob affirms. "They're helping today too, Paul's angry that your going to be there."

"I won't be, actually."

The quileute looked over at her as he stood in the kitchen shirtless, full length plaid pajama bottoms covering his legs. "What do you mean, you won't be. You said you would."

"I can't," Amaya disagrees solemnly. "The Volturi have a policy against humans and I was immune to it for a while because I was apart of the Cullen clan and they overlooked me because they were so focused on Bella and changing her. Marcus, Aro's brother convinced them not to kill me too. He figured that if I kept the secret for that long that I could be an exception. Not to mention a member of their guard has a crush on me so they keep me alive to amuse him into thinking I'd miraculously fall in love with him."

Jacob continued cooking his eggs silently, listening without interruptions. "Why would Marcus want to help you?"

"He's the most docile out of the others, he doesn't like hurting people."

A few moments passed before Jacob turned the stove off, dishing out eggs and bacon in plates, quickly grabbing hot toast from the toaster and distributing them to their rightful owners before sitting down to eat. "I don't want you getting hurt so maybe it is best you stay out of the action."

Amaya sat at her kitchen table, her fingers twirling in her lap. Blonde hair fell from behind her ear over her face but she didn't care. If things didn't work out today, she would never see Jacob again, she wouldn't be able to talk to him or be the imprint that she was destined to be.

Her past with him was rocky but they were getting better and Bella ruined everything again and Amaya stayed up all night yesterday thinking about why she would possible help Bella but she realized it was more for revenge than to help.

Ever since she stepped foot into Forks, Bella had been greedy and took everything from her but this was Amaya's one chance to do the taking. Being the one to take care of her daughter, have her grow up as if Amaya was her mother, it was the sweetest revenge anyone could've asked for and then some.

It was so secret that the miracle baby meant everything to the Cullen's and Amaya only felt it was best to take whatever opportunity she could to make Bella and the others feel a similar pain that they'd inflicted on her, even at the cost of losing her soulmate.

"Something bad going to happen, isn't it?" Jacob whispered, his brown eyes boring holes into the petite woman before him. "I can feel it, something's wrong and I don't like it."

"I'm not sure."

The quileute pursed his lips, being able to detect the words as a lie and a truth. "What was in that backpack yesterday?"

"I can't tell you."

"Are you leaving me?"

Amaya took in a shuddered breath, avoiding eye contact with him as much as possible so she wouldn't feel as much guilt as she did. "Why are you asking me these questions?"

Jacob shrugged his shoulders and her changing of the subject was enough of an answer for him. His following words came out thicker, emotion coating it making it harder to voice. "I just have this feeling and whatever it is that I did, I'm sorry. I thought we were getting better, I didn't mean to upset you again but if you tell me what it is I can fix it. I won't do it anymore."

"It was nothing you did," She rested a small hand on his arm, her thumb running over his hot skin. "It has nothing to do with you, I'm just being selfish and I'm sorry because I don't want to hurt you, I never did but this is just something I need to do."

He stood abruptly, stricken with grief as her words hit him like a wrecking ball. "You can't leave me, I finally got my act together and realized why we were meant for each other. You're everything I'm not, level-headed and pure and beautiful. You're a light and I need you to stay please."

Amaya bit her lip in attempts to hide that her chin was quivering as she tried not to cry. Thoughts flowed through her head, building up a courage in her she hadn't realized she suppressed. "Come with me."

"What?"

"There will be a fight today and people will die, so come with me. We can run away together and be happy."

Jacob's brows furrowed, confusion clear in his tanned features. "But my pack, my dad? I can't just leave them."

"Leah has Jackson and Seth can come with us. Your dad will be fine, everyone adores him and Sue stops by everyday to take care of him since Harry died. He'll be taken care of, I promise."

"Why would Seth come with us? He won't leave Renesmee here."

"He won't be," She bypassed his expression, her idea coming out more jumbled hat she planned. "Just trust me. Today when everyone goes to meet the Volturi, don't go. Stay with me and we can have the life we were meant to have. We can just be us and grow without being compromised by our past."

Jacob stayed quiet for a long time, his gaze never straying away from her wide and waiting blue eyes. "Okay, I'll come with you but we don't have anytime to pack everything and someone will come to us if I don't show up."

Amaya stood from her spot, hands shaking with anticipation. "We have to go see them before it starts anyway, I have to pick something up. I'll pack everything we need and leave what we don't. We can buy new things later."

"I still don't get why Seth has to come."

"You will later." The blonde beamed up at him, their hands intertwined at her sides. "I can't believe this is happening."

Jacob looked equally happy even though he wasn't sure what the hell he was doing—or what she was planning for that much. Amaya was being so secretive and irrational but everything he'd ever done up to this point was what he was told and it was planned and this seemed like an adventure he couldn't pass up. "We have to tell someone so they don't think we're dead."

"We'll leave a note and we'll be protected because Alice can't see past werewolves, we'll be one hundred percent safe."

"You're crazy woman."

"You'll learn to love it."

Jacob peered down at her in pure adoration. "I think I already do."