Part 7 - Shirt off

My heart was pounding dangerously fast as I sat staring at the elevator doors. He winked at me, did that mean I'm off the hook with Tiffany? I still had my ridiculous smile on my face like some lovesick puppy.

I unsteadily got to my feet and wandered to the kitchen still lost in a daze from his smile. He had a mesmerizing smile, it should be illegal for him to smile. I made myself a cup of coffee, milk, and no sugar, the same way he drank his coffee. I am such a hopeless case.

"Williams," I shrill voice pierced through my bliss.

The sound of my name startled me and I spilt the hot contents of my mug down my white shirt. "Ahhh," I yelled pulling the soaked material with the scorching liquid away from my skin.

Tiffany stood behind me with her arms crossed over her chest, she arched a plucked eyebrow at me in a pitiful way. "There are just no words to describe the mess that you are," she shook her head looking me up and down.

I kept my mouth shut, sending coffee drops flying everywhere as I shook my soaked hands.

Oh, I have a few words for you. Miss Priss hissed at her.

"Did you finish the paperwork I gave you yesterday?" she asked still glaring with disapproval.

"Yes, of course," I tried to keep the sarcasm from my voice.

"Good," she turned on her heel only stopping to give me one last glare, "Don't be late again and stay away from Axel. He is out of your league."

"I..." but before I could finish she walked away, "...bitch," I silently breathed out to myself finishing my sentence.

The other women in the office stared at my coffee stained shirt and laughed, but I didn't care what those hyenas thought. These girls still abided by high school rules, and I was no longer the head cheerleader.

"Baby girl, what did you do to yourself?" a friendly voiced asked from the desk next to mine.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." I shrugged, looking at Lori.

She was a bit older than the other woman working here but she had a heart of gold. Lori was one of my few friends in the city and took it upon herself to act like my big sister.

Lori chuckled at my reply. "What are you smiling about?" she asked sceptically.

"Nothing," I mumbled with a blush.

"It's that boy isn't it?" She pressed the matter with a knowing smile.

"What? No," I yelled in a whisper at her.

"Uh-hmm, you know you can't lie to me." She winked before she returned to her work.

I laid my forehead down on the cold surface of my desk. Was I really that transparent? No wonder people had been giving me the cold shoulder all morning. I was the idiot that showed up late with the boss's boyfriend.

Yes, crossing him of the plausible list. Miss Priss concluded my thoughts.

I was a fumbling tard for the rest of that day, and I made it my life's mission to avoid my boss. The hour of freedom finally arrived and I hightailed it out of that Vogue hell hole. Standing outside the building I took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. I opened my eyes and there he was, casually leaning against his car staring at me with his blue eyes hidden behind those darn glasses.

I wished my chameleon powers would activate so I could vanish into my surroundings but there I stood, caught in his gaze. It didn't last long before his eyes shifted, a smile grew on his face, and Tiffany came walking past me out the building.