Part 14 - Take a hint

Axel's POV

I sat on that sofa staring at the door—longer than intended—after she walked out of it. The area on the sofa she occupied suddenly seemed empty, leaving me confused. Sighing, I pulled the blasted hoodie off, she was right I was feeling hot. Throwing the hoodie on the floor I turned to stretch myself out on the sofa pretending to watch the sitcom she left on.

It was pointless, all I could think of was her annoying giggling every time she thought something was funny. Now that it's quite; I miss it. I groaned, sitting up again and feeling off-balance.

Frustrated, by these unknown—unwelcome—feelings, I got up and paced the living room a few times. With my hands lodged in my hair, I passed the mirror and it made me stop. I stood staring at myself dressed in jeans and a tank top. Melia's words rang in my thoughts, if she was brave enough to face her past then so am I.

Determined, I rushed to my room to get dressed, I suddenly felt the urge to hit the gym. Bravely, I dressed in sweatpants and a simple black t-shirt that fitted me snuggly. I gave my shunned hoodie one last longing look, then mastered the courage and stepped out without it.

At first, I felt liberated, walking around without the confining comfort of my hoodie. Then the heads started to turn in my direction, and my confidence fizzled. Random girls stared at me, they smiled, but it made me uncomfortable. Just focus. I thought encouragingly to myself. They are not judging they are admiring. I repeated my mantra over and over. Only when I sat protected in my car did I dare to relax again.

I Stopped in front of the gym and immediately my phone buzzed. I pulled it out to answer, "Hello?"

"What's up, loser?"

"Besides the sun, and your level of annoyance?"

"Boo, you drama queen."

"What do you want Bex?" I asked, smiling to myself.

"I miss you baby bro, where are you? We need to talk about your future," she rambled on, like always.

"At the gym," I said not thinking twice about it, "hurry up I have a life to get to," I said getting out of the car.

"Yeah right, I'm on my way like a bat out of hell," she said ending the call.

I grimaced at the phone, straight out of hell, she got that right. I tucked the phone back into my pants and headed inside the gym.

"Looking good, big boy," the perky redhead greeted me at the reception.

I blushed. "Hi, Ali. Is Max in today?" I asked, trying to keep a safe distance from her wandering hands.

She smiled deliriously as she got up and walked around the desk towards me. "Of course, he is in the training hall," she smiled, backing me into the corner. Right now, I wished I had my hoodie on, I was scared out of my mind she would try and touch me.

Desperation made me rude. "Back off, Ali! How many times do I have to say no, take a hint woman," I said. Hurt flashed in her eyes as I walked past her.

I hurried towards the training hall, bursting through the door. Max had his client in a choke hold as he snapped this head up. "Axe my man, did Ali rub you the wrong way again?" he asked letting go of his client. Was it written on my forehead or am I just that transparent?

I threw my bag on the floor nodding as I walked in towards them. "I doubt this Ali girl even got close to him," his client said straightening up.

"Landon?" I asked incredulously when I recognized my friend.