Part 21 - Rock my world

Every pair of eyes turned back to me. I clutched my bag even closer, quietly looking up at him. I tried so hard to emotionally detach myself from the situation, to not feel the obvious emotion in the way he looked at me. Why was he looking at me like that?

"I left you last night to come here and talk to Tiffany—"

"Axel, please, I don't need this," I somehow managed to speak up.

"I told her that you will quit your job today and that she will write you a glowing recommendation letter or I would make sure some of her dirty little secrets find their way onto social media," he said, pulling an envelope from his back pocket.

"What?" I asked stunned.

"This is all you need, the glowing recommendation from the chief editor of Vogue. Marcel has a contact at Vanity Fair and..." he said out of breath, "and there was no way I couldn't show up here and rescue you. You deserve better than this, and the truth is that I am falling in love with you. I know it's only been a weekend but babe you already rocked my world. I want more of you, and I want you to be happy more than anything. Melia, let me help you," he said.

Somewhere during his epic speech Tiffany tuned and stormed off to her office, the rest were all clasping their hearts with teary eyes, waiting for my response. Only this time, I enjoyed the spotlight on me, it was the other girl that stormed off in shame and humiliation, not me.

"Well, say something," Lori spoke from my side, she looked much less sad.

A heartfelt giggle escaped me, Axel stood in front of me waiting patiently. But I enjoyed this moment of suspense, it was somewhere between euphoric and invincible.

"I am definitely quitting my job. I am a journalist not a PA for Cruella Deville. Also, I am falling just as hard so how about you take me on an actual first date?" I said with a wink.

He smiled and pulled me in for a kiss, causing the entire office to erupt into cheer.

This is so much better than being crowned prom queen. Miss Priss realized with joy.

My Prince Charming picked me up, threw me over his shoulder, and descended the dark tower. Outside he smacked my bottom before he sat me down on the hood of his noble steel stead. He kissed me under the clear blue skies for good measure, resulting in a few passers-by to whistle.

"Thank you for saving me, back up there," I said, glancing up at the building.

"You're welcome, princess."

The whole affair was cliché, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I had a second chance to write my happily ever after, only now I am older, wiser and happier. I am me, and that's exactly what he wants, all of me.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

The moment was profoundly simple.

The moment was ours to cherish.

The moment was all our wildest dreams and more.

The moment would linger on for eternity, forever true to our hearts' desires.

As my glitches turned back to glitters and the anticipation of his kisses turned sweeter than ever, I was left loose around the edges and we were falling hopelessly together.

  ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ 

The End.