Chapter #11

0 days to PoetWay

I was sat up on top the mast as the lookout, totally not being a lookout. I was working on carving my name into the wood, my real name, not just my nickname. Reeth had joined me a while ago and was burning his name into it also.

I leaned back to look at both of them and made a face at my choppy lines compared to his cursive script, "mine looks so pathetic..."

he tilted his head slightly, then added a little loop coming off of the 'a' at the end of my name that curled around my name and trailed off into an arrow tipped tail, "there."

the corner of my mouth tilted up, "you could be an artist. If burning wood was being an artist."

"how poetic it would be, to create an image, by destroying the canvas," he hummed.

I stared blankly at the burnt wood, "that's too deep for me, maybe tone it back just a bit," I laughed lightly.

"you do not need to pretend you are any dumber than you are around me, RedEyes," he said like some wise mentor.

"Right, forgot that nothing gets past you," I smiled and traced my name in the wood.

"I have known you longer than you've known yourself."

I left the statement hang in the air and it was quiet for a while as we both just listened to the waves.

Sometimes I forgot just how smart and perspective Reeth was. I try not to think of him as less than human but it's harder than you'd think when he takes the form of a Phoenix.

You see, Reeth has an interesting backstory. He was once a human who was traveling with his pet Phoenix when he met a kid who switched their personalities and he became the Phoenix. Of course though, when I was nine, I realized it was only a story.

"the island is approaching on the horizon," he hopped up to the edge of the crows nest and looked out over the ocean, his feathers ruffling in the slight breeze, "you should tell them."

"Meh," I shrugged, "they'll find out."

He gave me a look.

"What?" I stared up at him, "you never tell me," I sat up against the wall.

"I never tell you because you never tell me," he countered and gestured a wing at me.

"Well I never tell you cause you never tell me," I smirked.

"Well we had to have started it with someone. And I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it was you."

My eyebrows scrunched together, "I don't know if I should be offended by that..."

"Red!" Nami said all disappointed like from below, "I thought you were keeping look out?! We're almost at the island!"

Arms on hips? I looked down at her. Yup, arms on hips. It seems like this has been happening a lot lately.

I looked back up and out at the ocean to the fast approaching island only to see that we were, in fact, almost there, "so it seems," I responded nonchalantly.

"Like this Red; ISLAND," Nami cupped her hands and yelled.

"Yeah no shit princess," I rolled my eyes at her.

Stomps could be heard slowly getting louder from below deck. Luffy burst out through the door with uno cards fluttering around him, "ISLAND?!" He repeated.

The force from the door reverberated up into the mass and threw me off and straight onto Luffy.

The force from my fall and his surprise caused him to crumpled under me and face plant the floor. I laid across his back facing up with my arms crossed behind my head, "my, my, my, how the tables have turned."