Different Worlds: Chapter one

It was a hurricane, or maybe a tsunami, that had whipped out both the marines and the Heart pirates just as commander Leyana (pronounced Lay-an- a) had caught up with them.

The storm drove the submarine up and the marine ship that had been tailing them was finally able to launch their attack. Just as Leyana was leading her soldiers onto the deck with the awaiting pirates, a huge wave came, knocking the board they used to cross over, sending Leyana into the water. Another came, crashing over the deck of both the ships, sending countless pirates and marines under.

Leyana had fought against the thrashing ocean but it was a losing battle as her limbs became dead weight from the devil fruit in her.

•~•

She woke up with a pained gasp, clawing at her throat, ripping at what felt like hands clasped around it. It was only when she pulled away the tattered remains of her tie that she was able to calm down for a second.

She dragged herself off the floor, struggling into a sitting position on the beach shore. She looked around at the beach, having no clue where she was or how she got there, it was deserted and other than the massive forest lining the shore and a line of jagged cliffs off to her left, there were no discernible land marks.

Her head throbbed and she brought a hand to her forehead, it came away sticky with blood. She stared at it, not knowing what to make of it, when she heard a voice form behind her.

"I was beginning to think you wouldn't wake up."

She whirled around and there he was, Trafalgar Law, captain of the Heart pirates, resting against a tree, his arms behind his head as he stared at her bemused.

She scrambled to stand, reaching for a gun at her hip that wasn't there, when she collapsed back to the ground with a cry. There was a sharp throb from her leg, a stake of wood was impaled through the middle of her thigh.

She let out a hiss, reaching for her leg and clutching at it, momentarily forgetting about the enemy behind her.

"Careful," he warned, "you've barely missed a major artery, I wouldn't risk moving it."

She glared at him, "I didn't ask."

He smirked but said nothing else. Leyana worked on treating her leg, using the rest of her shirt as a tourniquet while she agonizingly broke the long end off the debris off to leave only a short plug in her wound to stop the bleeding. She didn't know a lot about medicine but did know if she pulled out the wood, she could cause more damage.

Pulling herself closer to the sea, she began to rinse around her leg, all the while keeping an eye on Law, despite his look of having fallen asleep. It stung like the devil but she forced herself to stick through it and eventually was satisfied. By the time she had finished playing doctor, the sun was on its way down.

She looked back over at Law, having briefly forgotten about him, and saw that he had built up a fire. She hasn't realized how cold she was until she saw it and found herself shivering. She envied him and he seemed to notice by the smirk that grew.

"You're welcome to join me, I won't bite," he said slyly, glancing at her from the corner of his eyes.

She clenched a fist, he was enjoying her discomfort, that sadist. Despite being a respectable surgeon, he enjoyed her pain. This made her hate pirates even more than she already did.

She scoffed and his smirk grew more at it. She couldn't stand to look at him and turned her head away despite knowing she should be watching. Instead she looked at the sunset, humming to herself to distract her from the throbbing pain of her leg.

She watched the beach through the night, keeping a distrustful eye on Law as he drifted off next to the fire. She forced herself to stay awake a few hours past midnight but succumbed to exhaust and pain in the early morning hours.

•~•

There were grains of sand stuck in the corners of her eyes and what felt like a sticky sheen of salt coating her entire body. She groaned and rolled onto her side, clutching her sore leg.

From the look of the sun it couldn't have been past 9 o'clock, she felt sluggish, as if she'd slept for days.

She looked around the beach but to her horror, she couldn't find Law.

Leyana didn't dwell on it too long as she felt the throbbing hurricane of pain in her leg. Her leg had swelled throughout the night and strained against band around her thigh. Her flesh was red and turning purple and she couldn't feel the lower parts of her leg.

"Shit!" She cursed and tried to wrap her hands around the tourniquet but it was imbedded too deep into the skin.

She jammed her hand into her boot and yanked out the knife before quickly cutting the cloth and cutting her skin roughly in the process.

A rush of pain flooded through her leg as blood rushed back into it and she cried out. Their were stabbing slivers of pain all along her leg as it throbbed back to life and it swelled even more with pressure.

Her head swam in and out of consciousness as she struggled to keep herself up, she couldn't think straight.

She could almost see her leg throbbing as blood was rushing through her veins like a firehose.

She groaned and, remembering her medical training, grabbed the knife again.

She needed to relieve the pressure quick or she would lose the leg. She sliced a line down the inside of her calf and blood gushed out.

The pain was agonizing and she blacked out. It was only a second until she regained consciousness again. Her head throbbed and she had momentarily forgotten her panic.

The river of blood from her leg had slowed and the swelling had gone down to almost its normal size. Her eyes fluttered shut and she slapped herself to stop the blackness from coming back.

"Ok, ok that's better," she was whispering to herself over and over again.

Taking the cleanest cloth she had, she wrapped it tightly around the cut.

Her last thought before she passed out again was that she had kept the tourniquet on for too long.

•~•

Law had watched this all from a distance, he had gotten back from a trek through the jungle just as the girl was stirring. He could clearly see the swelling in her leg was at a dangerous point and was about to rush forward to help, when he saw her tale out her knife.

The crude self operation she performed was nothing less than sloppy, but was admirable. Not many would be able to bring themselves to that type of self mutilation, let alone even think to do it.

She might've saved not only her leg, but her life just then.

He was surprisingly impressed and decided that she deserved to live. Before, he had no problem letting a marine die, but she proved herself in his mind.

He stepped forward and put his hand out, "Room."