Stars

It had been just a few days since Luffy brought me back to the ship after everything that's happened. I try to spend most of my time with the crew, partly for them and partly for myself, but it seems that most days I end up on my own. Not because I want to be alone, more because I can see their pity for me. They all try to make me feel better in their own ways, but none of it seems right.

I sat on top the main mast, my legs dangling out over it as I traced the two signatures carved into the wood.

Reeth, his carving as clean and elegant as he is. . . was.

The wood was smooth, not jagged around the edges like mine was. Who would have thought your carving could so easily depict your personality.

I looked up at the stars to take my eyes off the burning name. They shone bright different colors that reflected back on the smooth ocean water in a swirl of colors. I didn't know any constellations, navigating was never my job even on my ship, so I stuck to finding my own patterns. It all just looked like a jumbled mess, but then I realized that was from the tears swimming in my eyes, not yet fallen.

I wiped at my eyes and looked back at the stars.

"Red?..." the voice was hesitant and quiet, not sure if I could speak.

"Yeah, Luffy-san," I didn't try to hide the waver in my voice, it wasn't needed. I knew he could detect it anyways.

"Can I come up?" He was hesitating anymore, but his voice was still just a hint cautious.

"Of course."

Before I could even finish the answer, he had already stretched an arm around the mast and pulled himself. He crouched down next to me, his hands on his knees and he observed my face.

"I'm fine," I half heartedly smiled and wiped my tears again.

His eyes drifted down to where my hand still stroked Reeth's name and he tilted his head to the side in a cute and curious way, like a dog.

"Did you do that?" He pointed to the name.

"No. No that was him, before..." I didn't have to finish, we both knew what I was implying.

"Oh," that was all he said for a while as he sat down next to me, balanced cross legged on the mast, "Red, what are we?"

"You're my boyfriend, Luffy-san. And I'm you're girlfriend," I explained for the second time today.

"But, what does that mean?"he frowned slightly and looked at me.

I almost couldn't answer, I've never been given a definition," um. It means we're in a romantic relationship. That we love each other and no one else."

He looked a little less confused and looked up at the stars, "and that means I can kiss you?"

"Yes."

"And I can hold you?"

"Yes."

"And I can help you?" He looked back at me on this question.

I paused my automatic 'yes'.

"If I'm you're boyfriend, that means I can help you," he didn't ask it this time, he said it.

"Yes, it does," I said at last.

He leaned back against the supporting brand of the mast and held his arms out to me, "come here."

I crawled towards him and sat between his legs, my back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around me.

"I think that orange star is a good star," he said after a few seconds of silence.

"What?" I looked at the stars to see what he was talking about but no star stood out.

"That orange star right there next to the moon, I like it," he explained and pointed to the star.

I followed his finger and found the star he was pointing at, a bright orange and red star right next to the moon, "yeah, it is."

He was quiet for a while before he said: "you should name it."

I frowned slightly, "name it?"

"Yeah, name it," he confirmed and his arms tightened around me in a sort of hug.

"Reeth," I smiled, "the star's name is Reeth."

I felt better now that I had named the star, for some reason. I don't know how, but Luffy helped me.

"That's a good name," he looked up at Reeth with me and I couldn't feel any pity coming from him.

Almost to show my happiness, my chest heated up and I could feel the heat through my own arms and by the way his arms shifted I could tell he felt it too. He could feel my happiness.