Chapter 4

Lucy's POV:

When I woke up I realized I wasn't on the chair where I fell asleep. I looked around and noticed that I was in the corner love seat behind the curtain. Sitting up I moved the curtain aside to see Calcifer burning bright and the sun seeping through the windows. Stretching I stood up and walked over to the window. Leaning on the window frame I took in the view of a small town? Stepping back I turned to Calcifer. 

"Cal where are we?" I asked, walking towards him. He looked at me and smiled. 

"The port city of Porthaven." He told me, grabbing a log from the pile I'd left him. 

"Porthaven?! How does the castle fit?" I asked in shock.

"Doesn't have to, why don't you go out and see." He smirked at me.

I wonder what he's up to...

Slowly I walked towards the door and down the stairs. About to grab the door handle I turned back, he smiled and nodded. Turning back to the door I carefully grabbed the door knob and turned it. The salty air filled my lungs and I stepped outside. My mouth agape I turned to see a small little magic shop behind me. Running back inside I slammed the door shut.

"Calcifer how is that possible?!" I asked in disbelief. 

"Turn the dial." Was all he said. 

"What?" I asked.

"Turn the dial." He repeated himself. Turning to the door I noticed a dial next to the knob. Reluctantly I turned the knob and the disc flipped to the red section. Opening the door again I was taken aback. I'd be somehow teleported to Kingsbury! Gasping I shut the door and braced myself on the door frame.

"This is a magic house." I breathed. Slowly I walked back up to the main room. Still shaky I slowly sat down.

"Lucy! Lucy!" Turning quickly I saw Markel run down the stairs.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Lucy have you made breakfast yet?" He asked, skidding to a stop at the end of the stair. Rolling my eyes and laughing I stood up.

"No, but Markel you can come and go shopping with me for food." I giggled. Groaning he sighed.

"Fine." he walked over to his cloak, which was on the table. Putting it on he transformed into a small old man. Slightly taken aback I jumped. "Alright, lets go." He said, grabbing a basket.

We went out into Porthaven and shopped at the market. I picked out some potatoes, fresh bread, fish and plenty of other produce. As we were about to head back we saw a commotion going on by the docks. When I could clearly see what was going on I gasped and felt my knees go weak. There were burnt and broken battle ships cruising into the harbor. My hands shook as I clenched the basket in my hands. 

"Markel we're leaving." I said quickly, grabbing his hand and pulling him through the crowd and back to the castle. Opening the door I shoved the basket into Markel's hands and motioned him to go upstairs. I quickly shut the door and frantically turned the dial to any color but blue. Sliding down against the door I hugged my knees and buried my face into my skirt. 

"Lucy?" I heard Markel call my name. Squeezing my legs I took a deep breath in. 

"I'm fine Markel. Just a little bit shaken. M-My brother, he's, well, h-he's a sailor." I stuttered. I looked up to see Markel's face drop. Slowly standing up I walked up the stairs and over to the basket, which Markel had set on the kitchen counter. "Let's get cooking."

That evening I was sitting on the floor, blankets wrapped around me and Markel as we leaned up against the fire place. Markel had told me to draw the bookshelves, he wanted to watch me draw. We each sipped a steamy mug of tea as we chatted and I drew. I heard the ping of the dial and turned to the door. The dial was on black and the door opened to reveal Howl? Setting my book down quickly I freed myself from the blankets and ran over to him, tripping on the blanket a little as it caught my foot. 

"Howl!" I called out to the beast. He was tall, covered thick in feathers and his head was hung. When he looked up I stopped I noticed his face was the same. Holding my arms to my heart I gasped. "Howl you're okay!" I breathed happily. He trudged past me and slumped into the chair in front of Calcifer. Slowly he placed his feet on the rim of the fire pit. I saw him cringe in pain as his feathers disappeared and he became human again. Walking carefully back to him I gently set my hand on his shoulder. I saw him jump a little and I quickly brought my hand back. 

"Go to bed, bring Markel with you." Was all he said. Nodding my head vigorously I picked up Markel who'd fallen asleep. I looked at him and we locked eyes, I could see the pain in his stare. Biting my lip I nodded at him before going upstairs. 

After tucking in Markel I retired to my own room. I brushed my hair and changed into a light nightgown. I looked for my sketch book but couldn't find it. 

I must've left it downstairs...

Tiptoeing quietly past Markel's room I crouched to see downstairs from the top of the stairs. Howl was leaning over a book, his feet now on the ground. Looking closer I saw that it was my sketch book he was holding!! I gasped but quickly covered my mouth. Not wanting to see the outcome of the situation I stood up and ran as quietly as possible to my room.

Hey there friends! Whoa, right?! I updated so soon! AH THAT"S NOT NORMALLLLLL. lol... Anyway! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Toodles!!