Chapter 8

Lucy's POV:

I sat at the edge of the lake and stared at the beautiful scenery.

"I finished the dishes!" Markl called out to me, running from the castle. I turned and smiled at him.

"Thank you Markl! Sorry I couldn't help, I'm just tired for some reason..." I stood up and brushed myself off. "Lets play that game I promised!" I smiled.

Markl and I played tag, threw a ball around, laughed and had fun. Pretty soon dark clouds rolled in and it started to rain.

I covered my head, grabbing Markl's hand we laughed and ran inside.

Markl sat next to Cal in a towel while I prepared us some tea.

"Lucy you'll catch cold! Come sit down with Markl, or at least get out of those wet clothes!" Cal scolded me. I just giggled.

"I'll be fine. Just let me finish the tea. I'll make some extra in case Howl comes home early." I mumbled the last part.

~~

A few hours later I'd successfully put Markl asleep. Sighing I shut his room and decided to change.  I'd been wearing the same clothes all day, I won't admit it, but I do think I have a cold now.

I sneezed and walked into my room.

After changing into my pjs I went downstairs to see Howl and Cal talking. 

For some odd reason I felt sick to my stomach, but in a good way?

"Howl!" I called. He looked up and smiled. Smiling back I continued to walk down the stairs.

Before I could say anything he came up and hugged me?

Stunned at first I adjusted and hugged him back.

"Did-Did something happen?" I asked.

"No. I just wanted to make sure you were still here... still, real." Howl let me go, placing his hands on my shoulders. We made eye contact for a spilt second before he turned back to Cal.

"Oh..." I said, a small blush gracing my face. Noticing Howl take a seat next to Cal, I joined them.

We spoke about the crazy war, what Howl was doing to stop it and how he was gonna respond to his various amounts of requests from the Queen.

As this conversation progressed I felt more and more tired. Pretty soon I'd fallen asleep.

Howl's POV:

When I returned home a luke-warm cup of tea was waiting for me.

"Lucy made it for you before she went up to put Markl to sleep." I head Cal tell me.

I smiled and laughed softly as I picked up the cup, bringing it to my lips. It was surprisingly delicious and I finished it quickly. 

Walking over to Cal I sat down. 

"This war is getting crazy, and I still haven't responded to the kings requests." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Nothing seems real. I find it hard to think Lucy is even real." I said.

"What do you mean?" Calcifer asked.

"I'm not sure." I sighed. "I've never felt this way, she just seems to good to be true. I have a feeling she's just going to disappear." I explained, looking at my friend.

"That's not going to happen Howl, Lucy's here and I don't think she's going anywhere any time soon." I smiled and nodded my head at Cal.

"Howl!" I turned my head to see Lucy poke her head over the railing of the stairs.

My mouth immediately formed into a smile as she ran down the stairs. I stood quickly and brought her into my arms, hugging her tightly. 

"Did-Did something happen?" I heard her ask as she wrapped her small arms around my torso. 

"No. I just wanted to make sure you were still here... still, real." I said, pulling myself from the hug. I placed my hands on her shoulders and gazed into her eyes.

She's real, she's right here in front of me.

"Oh..." She said, hiding her face quickly.

Smiling I sat next to Cal and Lucy did too. We conversed around the war and our views on it. Lucy was very opposed to the war, saying the enemy shouldn't blame everyone else if they can't keep track of their own prince. I smiled at her innocence and child-like views. She had no idea what the people who ran these countries were like, rude and cold. 

Pretty soon I saw Lucy had fallen asleep in her chair. I went to brush the hair out of her eyes but quickly cupped my hand to her forehead when I realized her skin was burning.

"Cal, Lucy has a fever!" I informed him worriedly.

"I told her to change out of those wet clothes!" Cal huffed. 

With a worried look I glanced at Lucy's sleeping form. Standing I went over to the kitchen to grab a small towel, soaked it in cold water. Walking back over to Lucy I placed the rag on her forehead. She flinched ever so slightly.

Leaning over I picked her up and brought her upstairs to her room. I tucked her into her bed.

Once she was settled I pulled up a stool and sat next to her bed. Carefully watching her. 

Who is she... and why does she make me feel this way?

AHAHAAH! I HAVE UPDATED! I hope you all liked this chapter! I might go back and edit a few chapters, fixing some minot grammer and spelling mistakes, along with making the first few chapters easier to read! If you see random updates that whats up! I should hopefully update soon! Toodles!!