Chapter 10

Lucy's POV:

"Oh Cal I'm worried, Howl isn't back yet..." I mumbled, chin on the dinner table, staring at Cal.

"He'll be fine, even if we move farther apart Howl will always be able to find the castle." Cal said, grabbing a log and sticking in into his mouth.

Sighing I moved my arms under my head, turning it slightly. Using my arms as a pillow I shut my eyes and fell asleep.

~~

I woke up to Calcifer's soft crackling. When I opened my eyes I blinked a few times to adjust to  the darkness. I tried to move but I felt something weighing me down. Plopping down due to the weight of the object around me. I wiggled my body to face this object.

I was greeted with warmth being blown softly in my direction. Squinting I tried to see what it was.

"Howl?!"I whispered in disbelief.

In the darkness I could see that Howl was asleep next to me, leaning on the table as well. His arm was wrapped tightly around me.

My cheeks exploded in heat due to his face's proximity to mine.

"Howl... Howl... let's get you to your room. You'll hurt your back sleeping hunched over like this." I whispered kindly, gently nudging Howl.

I could see his face stir and his eyes opened. Once we saw me looking back at him a soft smile graced his lips.

"You look beautiful." He whisper, a sleepy grain in voice.

I froze. All I could do was sit in silence, listening to the loud pound of my heart in my ears.

Beautiful...

"Howl..." I breathed.

Slowly Howl came closer, and closer. I could feel his warm breath on my lips. I didn't know what to do, he was so close! My body began to shake slightly in disbelief and Howls proximity.

Howl came even closer, closing the space between us. His kiss was soft and sweet. Slowly he sat up, leaning into the kiss. He helped me sit up, not once breaking from the kiss.

There I sat, in the arms of a wizard I'd only known for a little over two weeks. But I couldn't help it. I was in love. I was in love with Howl.

I love you Howl.

After a while Howl broke from the kiss. He picked me up and held me in his lap, wrapping his arms tightly around me, making me feel safe and comfortable.

"I've never cherished someone as much as I cherish you. I want to protect you from harms way, and I would like for you to stay here in this castle with Markl, Calcifer and I." Howl whispered sweetly to me.

I have to be dreaming...

"Nothing would make me happier." I sighed in pure bliss, squeezing Howls arms around me.

"Oh Lucy..." he breathed in joy, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"I love you Howl..." I whispered to him.

"I deeply wish to return your feelings, but I am heartless I cannot love. Will you still accept me?" Howl asked.

I broke gently from Howl's grip, standing up and facing him.

"That's not true, though you may be heartless that does not mean you cannot love. With or without  a heart you love everyday. You love Calcifer, you love Markl. And Howl... I love you, I will always accept you because your love comes not from your heart, it comes from deep within you. From your soul. And that's the best kind of love." I started to cry as I spoke, smiling like a mad man through the tears.

"Lucy!" Howl beamed, jumping up in joy and embracing me tightly. "First thing tomorrow I'm going to pay a visit to Madam Sulliman and tell her to end this tedious war. I'm done running, I want to stay with you forever and I want you to stay in my arms forever." Howl said, kissing me on the top of my head.

I squeezed Howl tighter.

"Forever."

DOES THAT SOUND LIKE AN ENDING?! GOOD. CAUSE IT WAS! Sorry for disappearing and then throwing and ending chapter in your face! I've been relentlessly working behind the scenes on a new Howl x Reader. The first chapter of that book will be uploaded sometime within this week. It's going to be a lot longer and more thorough than this one, but I promise my skills have gotten better so it'll be much more entertaining! Also I'll update more regularly (probably XD). Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this story!! I did have lots of fun writing it, even if I lost sight of where the plot was going towards the end! If you enjoy my stories feel free to check out my new Howl x Reader when it comes out! Or if you want to read another Ghibli-based story now I do have a Haku x Reader that is out! Well I guess this is my last goodbye for this story! I love you all so much! Thanks for sticking with this story! Toodles!!