07

When Betty invited Julia to go to Pop's Chock'it Shoppe with Kevin, Veronica, and Jughead she couldn't say no.

And when Cheryl invited her half an hour after that, she couldn't say no either.

Julia hated the fact that her friends never got along. She understood the reasons, mainly because Cheryl was always such a bitch to her cousin. Julia was too, about a year ago, but ever since she came back to Riverdale she couldn't help but feel like she fit in better with Betty's friends. She also loved reuniting with Jughead and Archie, the three were known as "The Golden Trio" in middle school.

Juggling the two extremely different friend groups was tough, and she knew that she would have to pick one soon. Cheryl frequently expressed her disapproval of Julia hanging out with the "lower class." Betty and Veronica frequently expressed their diapproval of Julia going back to her old ways.

When she entered the diner, she saw Cheryl and the minions in a booth on the right side, and Betty and the gang on the left. She blew a piece of hair out of her face and sent Cheryl a regretful look.

"Sorry," she mouthed at the redhead, whose frown deepend. "Hey guys," Julia smiled at Kevin, Veronica, Jughead, and Betty as she pulled a chair up to the edge of the table.

They all greeted her and she quickly stole the strawberry off of Betty's milkshake. She turned to speak to Jughead about their latest lap report, but noticed he was in one of his 'emo moods,' as she liked to call them.

"The drive-in closing is just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale. No, forget Riverdale, in the coffin of the American Dream. As the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say-"

"Please, God, no more Quentin Tarantino references," Kevin cut the angry boy off.

"What? I'm pissed. And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it," he campaigned.

"I totally agree, my first kiss was at that drive-in, it's practically a historical spot," Julia reminisced. She was 14 and on a date with Drake Taylor, who was a junior at the time.

"In this age of Netflix and VOD, do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean who even wants to go there?" Veronica questioned.

"People who want to buy crack," Kevin replied wittily

"Horny teens," Julia pondered.

"And cinephiles. And car enthusiasts, right Bets?"

"Totally," Betty said half-heartedly. Something had seemed off with her lately, Julia just couldn't put her finger on it.

"Anyway, it's closing because the town owns it, but didn't invest in it. So, when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy and offer, she couldn't refuse," Jughead explained.

"Anonymous buyer? What do they have to hide? No one cares," Veronica said, puzzled.

"I do," Jughead paused, "also you guys should all come to closing night. I'm thinking American Graffiti...or is that too obvious?"

"I vote for anything starring Audrey Hepburn, or Cate Blanchett," Veronica said excitedly.

"Well, I'm casting my vote for anything John Hughes. 'The Breakfast Club,' 'Ferris Bueller'..." Julia trailed off. Eighties movies were her absolute favorites.