Gossip

Mia was enjoying her breakfast. Today she was a little bit early so her friends hadn't arrived yet. With no one to talk to herself she couldn't help but listen to the conversation taken place at the next table behind her.

"Uriah, did you know the couple whose death was celebrated yesterday?"

"No, did you Tris?"

"No, I thought you might, since you're Dauntless born."

"They must have been special somehow, though..."

"Why?"

"It's rare that Sean does the speech himself, and it wasn't some standard speech either."

"You are right. They were killed in an ambush by Factionless were they not?" Another female voice could be heard.

"Um." It sounded muffled as if this Uriah was speaking with his mouth full.

Like all of Dauntless Mia had been at the pit yesterday but she hadn't stayed long because she still wasn't used to the way Dauntless celebrated death.

"I still remember the awful speech Eric gave, when Al killed himself."

Hearing Eric being mentioned Mia's interest was piqued. But if someone committed suicide, the speech was pre-formulated at Mia had learned years ago.

"As much as I don't like him, I told you then already, the speech the same every time. No use blaming it for him."

"He's a leader he could change it."

"It's Eric, you honestly thing he cares?"

Mia thought about it. He could possibly change it, but although she had gotten to know a different side of him yesterday she had to agree, he possibly wouldn't care. Or did he? But what could be changed about the speech? Though for her suicide wasn't an act of bravery, calling it anything else would be considered ill speaking of the death in Dauntless. So Eric hadn't much if a choice what to say either way.

"Speaking of Eric, he had been in a sourer mood yesterday than normal."

Now, that wasn't right, Mia though. He hadn't been in a sour mood, not in the afternoon. She tried to remember his expression while he stood next to Sean during the speech. Thinking about it he face had been blank giving nothing away and he had left directly after the speech.

"Perhaps the rumor had been true then."

"Which one, Christina?"

"The one that said Eric had been assigned on baby sitter duty yesterday." Christina snickered.

"What do you mean? Initiation hasn't started yet?"

"No I mean literally. Rumor has it Eric was seen with a small boy. Somebody even alleged he carried him."

This caused an uproar at the other table.

"What?"

"I don't believe it!"

"He dangerous! Who would let him look after a child?"

Mia felt bad for Eric. He had been so good with Teddy. Should she say something? They possibly wouldn't believe her. The longer Mia sat there listening to them insulting Eric the more she felt she should step up for him. Finally having made up her mind Mia turned around to address them, but all she saw was the retreating backs of three people walking away. It was too late and she had been too caught up in her internal debate to even noticing them getting up. Mia was feeling unhappy and uncontent with herself.