17 - Training

Eric

Initiation has gone as expected. Four was always there telling him without words that he though he bullied them. Apparently Four would never learn that a bully harassed people for the fun of it, while he was rough and hard on them to push them to their limits so they would with time be able to went beyond them. They needed to get better and tougher if they wanted to defend the city and its people. Teddy was doing fine in day care, which was a relieve to Eric. He got along fine with the other children as Mia had predicted. Of cause he missed him and vice versa but that they could handle. Eric tried to make time as often as he could and spend time with him during the day whenever possible. Only this morning Teddy had been clingier than usual and even a little bit fuzzy, which wasn't normal. Maybe it would be best to look after him during lunch break.

Due to recent development and experience Eric had added an altered climbing training to the training:

"Alright, listen up!" Eric addressed the initiates, shaking himself out of his thoughts to focus on the task at hand. "Today we're doing climbing exercises. First you'll climb this wall using the holds, once you're up you'll hang there for an extra minute before you allowed to get down. Any questions? No? Up you go!"

"Care to tell me why you all of sudden stress the climbing that much?" Four asked walking over to Eric.

"They have to be able to climb walls." The other man replied without so much as looking at Four. Instead he kept watching the climbing initiates.

"Okay, but normally we'd use ropes." Four commented.

"There will be those times, when they'll have to do it without."

Of cause Four didn't agree nor understand so Eric stopped bothering explaining. He had never the initites out of his sight and now Eric stared unbelieving at Alfred, who was falling down when he had been only been halfway up. With a cry Alfred was hitting the mats hard, making no move to climb up again. That wouldn't do.

"That was just pathetic, Initiate! Up there, now!" Eric barked at him.

The young leader sighed. Apparently he had to do more muscle building exercises with the transfers. Then there was Drew, who had already lost points for bulling. Today he had again antagonized another initiate, this by blocking her way on purpose so she had to wait for him to clear the way or take a longer route, which meant she would need more time and strength. He looked over to Four but apparently number boy had seen nothing. Still points would be taken. Eric looked over to Tom, who was the fourth to reach the top. Slowly but steadily the Amity was getting there. He had asked Eric a while back what he'd suggest he could do as additional training which had surprised Eric. He was the first to turn to him for advice. But he had quickly covered up his surprise and gave him a bunch of exercises. Now they had fallen into some kind of follow up pattern. Whenever he talked to Tom he could feel Four staring. Eric new it was only a matter of time before Four would approach Tom to warn him that he'd better stay away. He was so sick of it. There was nothing he could do though. What Four didn't get was, that with his personal vendetta he undermined the trust of the new initiates in the leadership of their new faction, which would made it hard for them to become part of Dauntless or follow orders they'd be given later on. In between the grunts from the climbers the sudden ring of the telephone startled everyone. In a flash Eric was next to it. If he got a call down here it could only mean that something happened to Teddy!

"This is Eric."

"Eric its Tara. Teddy isn't feeling well."

"How bad is he?"

"He's sick but hasn't vomited yet. I will have Cara bringing him to you."

"Thanks. That would possibly be best."

"Alright she is leaving right now. Bye."

"Okay. Till then." Eric hung up. Turning around now noticed that everyone was looking at him and had stopped climbing. Immediately he glared at the initiates and barked:

"Did I tell you to stop? Go on!"

"What's the matter, Eric?" Four inquired. Of cause.

"Something came up. I've gotta go. You have to train the class on your own today. I can't say if I'll be able to come tomorrow." Before Four could asked further questions, Eric had turned around and walked over to the locker room to gather his stuff. When he returned Cara was already there, carrying Teddy. His little guy looked pale, clearly sick but happy to see him, when he exclaimed in a faint voice only on word:

"Eric!"

Eric immediately walking over to the pair with a few long strides to take his boy off Cara, never minding the disbelieving stares of Four and everyone else in the room. Teddy nuzzled his head into Eric's crock of the neck.

"Thanks for bringing him, Cara." Eric addressed the young woman.

"Anytime." Cara replied smiling.

"The bad man wanted to take me but Cara didn't let him." The statement of the boy, although spoken quietly, could be heard by everyone over the stunned silence in the training room. Eric wanted to launch himself at Four. What had he been thinking, disturbing his son like that? More so when he was sick?! In order not to upset Teddy any further Eric just glared at the other man over his boys head, while stroking Teddy's hair, reassuring him:

"Don't worry Teddy. You're safe." Turning back to Cara Eric said: "You did the right thing there. I'll take him home. Oh and I'll call when he's better."

Without another word to anyone else or a last look back Eric left, cradling Teddy in his arms.