It's True

{Third Person}

Corpses littered the snow covered road. The gruesome sight told the story of what had happened. Aragorn searched for Legolas but there was no sign of him.

"Search the surrounding area for Legolas and Lord Thranduil." He heard Haldir tell his ellyn. "And check for any survivors."

A half an hour passed before Aragorn finally found Legolas. He was bent over a body, clinging to it as if his own life depended on it. But it wasn't until Aragorn had climbed the mound and knelt at his friend's side that he saw the reason for the racked sobs that tore from him. Cradled in his arms was the pale, lifeless form of the King.

Aragorn placed a gentle hand on Legolas' shoulder. Blood-shot eyes looked up at him, but Aragorn said nothing. What could he say? Legolas turned away from him and back to the body in his arms. Aragorn did his best to offer some kind of small comfort, rubbing his friend's back as he continued to cling to the late king's body.

Movement came from behind and Aragorn turned to see Thaladir. Legolas didn't seem to notice when Aragorn walked down to him.

"What happened?" Thaladir asked, his eyes trained on the sight before him.

"King Thranduil is dead." The words left Aragorn's mouth in a blunter manner than he had intended.

Thaladir's eyes went wide before he hung his head and whispered a few words of farewell to his King. He then looked up at Aragorn. "Stay with him." He said, gesturing to Legolas. "He may be injured, in which case I will be of no use. I will find Haldir and arrange for the body to be taken back to my homeland."

Aragorn nodded and turned and walked back to the grieving elf. Legolas did not move nor did he seem conscious to anything around him.

<><><><><><><><>

Night had fallen by the time Aragorn convinced Legolas to leave. He would not move until he had seen his adar's body properly cared for, to be carried back to his people. Aragorn led him away to a makeshift camp that had been set up for the night. Legolas hadn't spoken since Aragorn had found him. He was trapped in a daze of confusion and shock. He looked up when Aragorn spoke, but didn't seem to see or hear him.

Aragorn led him inside a tent and began to clean the blood off his hands. Legolas didn't seem to notice and his silence worried Aragorn.

Suddenly Aragorn felt Legolas tense slightly as he gently wiped the blood away. "He said I have a brother..." Legolas murmured, but his eyes remained unfocused. "It was him... he was telling the truth, Calithilon killed my adar."

Legolas had told Aragorn who the ellon in the mines had claimed to be. But neither of them could make sense of it as they both believed Legolas had no siblings. "Who said you have a brother?" Aragorn asked softly.

"Adar." Legolas whispered and then fell silence again.

A few minutes passed and after checking his friend for any new injuries, and finding none, Aragorn thought it best to let him be for a while. "Try to get some rest." He told the dazed ellon as he pushed the tent flap back and walked out.

Aragorn found Haldir, Elrohir, Thaladir and several of Haldir's ellyn by the fire. Thaladir turned to Aragorn as he sat down beside them.

"How is he?" Thaladir asked, concern for their friend written on his face.

"He is grieving and his body is weak. He has no new injuries, but he has pushed himself to the limit physically. I think the only thing we can do for him now, is to get him home." The others nodded in silent agreement.

The four sat in silence for a moment before Aragorn asked the question he felt he already knew the answer to. "Were any of the King's escort alive?"

Elrohir sighed. "No."