Back Home

{}«Legolas' POV»{}

Home. A word used so often and yet the true meaning of it is largely overlooked, being mistaken for a structured, or an area where one has dwelt all their life. But as I walk through the gates that look so familiar, the detail being something I have seen a thousand  times over, but seems foreign, cold and distant. The entire place feels... empty.

Aragorn and Thaladir walk by my side. Word will spread, but I will still have to announce it formally. I dread that. Somehow that will make it all real, I won't be able to tell myself that I will wake up and he will be there, alive and well. 

The horns had blown announcing our arrival and now elves from my adar's court come to greet us, Elhael is among them. She sees me and comes running.

"Legolas, I was so worried!" She cries, throwing her arms around me, "Your adar told me what happened before he left. He-" She stops and looks at me, "Legolas, where is Lord Thranduil?"

My chest tightens and I can't bring myself to answer.

"Legolas don't tell me... how badly is he hurt? Where is he? I need to see to him," she continues.

"Elhael... he's not... he's..." I close my eyes as I cannot find the words. Several gasps sound and confused murmurs brake out around me as they start to guess what I was trying to say. I sense them looking at me for answers.

"The King is dead." I find myself saying, but I cannot bring myself to face them so I walk out.

Elhael calls out to me, but I keep walking. I go straight to my chambers and slam the door, before laying on the bed and curling in on myself.

Why did I leave? I was so naïve to think that he was solely after me. I should have listened to adar when he warned me that it could be a trap. A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts but I don't bother to even look up.

"Legolas," I recognize Elhael's voice. "Let me in," she pleads. "Please talk to me."

Does she really want me to tell her what happened!? How can I do that? I'm I suppose to tell her that I failed? That I was too late and he died because of it? No, this is my fault and I will not burden her with it.

The door creeks open and light footsteps travel closer. The mattress shifts as she sits down beside me, placing her gentle hand on my arm.

"Legolas, Thaladir told me what happened. I am so sorry.  But please do not blame yourself."

"How?" I ask. "How can I not when he warned me of this? He told me it was a trap but I left anyway."

She gently pulls my arm and I sit up, facing her as she continues, "You were only doing what you thought was best for your friend and for your people. There is no fault to be found in that."

I'm grateful for her comforting words, but they don't make it any easier. Elves aren't supported to die. This wasn't supported to happen.

<><><><><><><><>

Evening turns to night on the day of the funeral. Elves leave one by one until I stand here alone by adar's grave. My body starts to tense. The sorrow is gradually replayed with anger. An anger like I have never known. It burns inside of me and I find myself clenching my fists. I will kill the elf that did this to him...to me...to our people. No matter who he claims to be.

A/N: Short update, twice in a row I know. Sorry... It wouldn't  flow right any other way. The next one is longer I promise! :) Enjoy the rest of the weekend  y'all!

-Sierra