Epilogue

{}«Legolas' POV»{}

Months have passed since the battle at Moria's gate and summer is in full bloom, fresh leaves and plants cover the damage caused by the Orcs in the year passed. I stand near the gate, giving a few last minute orders and listening to the joyous voices fill the stronghold as the servants prepare for Aragorn and Arwen's arrival, word of them having already come from Thaladir's patrol.

Shortly after the war, Aragorn agreed he and Arwen would come and stay here a while, as did and Elladan and Elrohir. Gimli too was invited, but business in the Glittering Caves have him too busy to make it.

Finally, the horn blows and the gates open. The king and queen of men ride out of the trees followed by their escort. Aragorn looks at me and then back to Arwen and whispers something in her ear and she laughs, making me wonder what he said. But no matter what he said, it is good to see her smile. I haven't seen her since we left Lorien and I have worried on how deeply it has all affected her.

They ride up and dismount just outside the gate, the stable boy takes their horses and I walk out to greet them.

"It is good to see you, gwador nin," I tell Aragorn as we clasp forearms.

"It's good to see you as well, gwador nin," he replies with a smile.

I turn to Arwen who offers her hand. "My lady," I say as I kiss it gently.

She smiles, "My lord." 

I turn back to Aragorn, "Come and rest awhile before the feast tonight that no one will soon forget."

He laughs, "If it is to be anything like your father's, then forgetting it will be nigh on impossible!"

I nod and we both laugh as Arwen takes Aragorn's arm they follow me into the stronghold.

<><><><><><><><>

Evening finally comes and the feast is in full swing. The table offers various types of food and the music plays in the background, audible only barely over the voices that fill the room.  

Elladan and Elrohir arrived several hours after Aragorn and Arwen, and are now talking laughing with their sister who sits opposite of them.

"It is good to see her smile," Aragorn comments to me looking at his wife.

I nod in agreement, "How have the two of you been?"

He turns to me, his eyes lighting up, "Things have been better, much better, great in fact."

Arwen looks at him, seeming to have heard what he said and smiles, her face brightening.

I turn to Aragorn, "What are the two of you not saying?" They look at me in mock surprise at my question. "I know you both well enough to know the looks on your face are not from the wine in your glass."

Aragorn places a hand on my shoulder, "As it turns out, we do have something to ask you, or tell you rather."

"Anything, what is it?"

He removes his hand and looks back to Arwen and they both smile and now Elladan and Elrohir join in their beaming and my curiosity rises. 

"What are your thoughts on being an uncle?"

I blink in confusion and my fork hand slips and crashes onto my plate. I look at Arwen and then to Aragorn and then back to Arwen. "You mean?"

Arwen nods and I look back to Aragorn, trying to come up with something to say but nothing comes out.

"We were just as speechless, were we not brother?" Elladan says and Elrohir nods in agreement. 

I turn back to Aragorn and force back my surprise, "Congratulations, both of you." I stand from my chair and raise my glass, drawing the attention of the rest of the room and give a toast to which the whole room cheers. For new life is something the Eldar cherish, especially following darker days such as we have had.

"Hannon le, Legolas," Aragorn says after I retake my seat. 

"Uncle Legolas..." I test the name, leaning back in my chair, picturing a little girl or boy calling me that and the thought brings a smile to my lips.

A while later, the music has picked up into a faster pace and ellyn and men start to ask the ellyth and woman to dance. Elladan and Elrohir have already excused themselves and have disappeared into the crowd of people.

Elhael walks up and I gesture for her to take a seat beside me, which she does. Aragorn smiles at me and takes Arwen by the hand and heads to the dance floor.

"I like her," Elhael says and I follow her gaze to Arwen.

"Yes, she is good for him," I say and look back to Elhael, "Care to dance, my lady?"

She smiles and takes my hand and we head in the same direction as our friends.

We dance long into the night, changing partners multiple times before changing back. After a while, the dancing dies down some and I find myself beside Arwen, Aragorn having gone to get something to drink and Elhael dancing with Thaladir who has just returned from patrol.

"Legolas," Arwen says, "I never got the chance to say thank you."

I look at her confused. "Thank me? For what?"

"For your help. It cost you dearly in the end, and for that I am sorry, but if not for you, I might still be down in those mines..." Her words trail off, her thoughts undoubtedly on those appalling memories, as my mind drifts there also.

"So little faith in your big brother!" Elrohir, who must have overheard our conversation, says with a grin. "Come now, don't dwell on such evil days! Lighten up the both of you." He turns to his sister as another song begins, "Many I have this dance?"

"You may indeed, brother," she says, her face brightening and I think again on how good it is to see her smile. She seemed so frail and afraid back in the mines, underneath the courage she had shown. I did not know if she would ever recover --if either of us would recover. But we have, and though none of us are as we were before, we are stronger for it.

The End.