01: the one where the boys leave early.

chapter one:
the one where the boys leave early.

The café is empty, a weird thing to see considering the business we usually get at a time like this. I'm wiping the tables, one hand clutching a rug as the other reaches up to wipe the sweat from my forehead, cheeks puffing out to exhale a hot breeze that disappears into the freezing air.

There are only a few people here today, two of whom showed up to hog the flat screen mounted on the wall, the other two stuck behind the counter. I'd say it isn't always like these but even when it's rush hour, it most certainly is.

"Jesus," someone groans, head falling back against one of the couches positioned next to the window. I look up from the task at hand, eyes landing on Michael Clifford. He makes a face, looking at me. "Soph, do me a favour and crank the heating up?"

"No can do," I shake my head, mindlessly flipping the towel over my shoulder and leaving it there to rest. I fold my arms as I look back at him. "Ashton doesn't like anyone touching the thermostat."

"Goddamn thermostat," Michael grumbles, standing up and stretching. He's taller than me and a college grad, unlike myself. I dropped out a couple of weeks ago, but stayed in the bustling city that is New York because despite what my parents say, it's my home and god forbid I move to anywhere that isn't. "He's not even here right now. Can't you make one exception?"

"I would, except I don't want to get fired," I frown, though Ashton would never fire me; his job is to mix the syrups with the ice and the worst he can do is put in a bad word about how I work to out actual boss. He'd never, anyway, and Michael and I both know this: mainly because he's one of our best friends and I'm in dire need of a job.

"You won't get fired. Come on, I'll do it."

"Michael, no."

"But I'm freezing in here," he says, folding his arms and pouting. I reach upwards to ruffle his hair, the towel slipping to the floor from my shoulder as I do so.

"Then go outside."

"Wow, the logic. Come out from one cold place and enter another," he scowls, before flopping back down on the couch. "No wonder you dropped out of UNY."

"It's NYU, Michael."

"You're an NYU," he shoots back, making me look back at him in amusement. "But yeah. That's why you got kicked out."

"Because I wouldn't touch the thermostat?"

"Because you thought it'd be a good idea to freeze outside instead of inside," he corrects me. "At least in here I get free coffee."

"Yeah, about that," I edge around the counter, leaning against one of the many stools. "Ashton said you can't do that anymore."

"What?!"

"You know. Order a coffee, down it, burn your throat and then run out without paying."

"Excuse me, I do pay," he narrows his eyes. "In spirit."

"Oh, yeah? Well, spirit isn't going to keep this place running, so you better start paying or your name goes on the Undrinkables list."

"You guys have an Undrinkables list?"

"Yes," I reply, nodding. He smirks.

"Who else is on it?"

"People who don't pay."

"So, me?"

"And Calum."

"But Calum pays!"

"Monopoly money and chocolate coins don't count, Mike," I roll my eyes, though I can't keep the smile off of my face as I place the glass I'd been cleaning back down on the table.