18. the one where it's about luke and april.

chapter eighteen:
the one where it's about luke and april.

One thing about my parents is that they are totally, utterly, annoyingly predictable. They don't know they are, they don't even think it, but other people do- and I find it such a bad coincidence I just so happen to be one of those people.

"They're going to want to make you stay, you know." Ashley says, throwing a basketball in the air before lazily catching it with one hand. I have no idea where she got it from, I'm just happy that it's not being aimed at me. "You know what they're like."

I sigh. "I know."

"Once they start asking about Uni, and your job, and where you live, you should probably get the hell out of there."

"That's the plan," I smile weakly at her, packing some overnight things into a bag because plane flights have proved to be dodgy at this time of year. You could be planning to stay for one night and then end up on a weekend getaway. "Do you know what the plan is? Once we get there?"

"Kinda." Ashley shrugs. "The boys want to sightsee before the ceremony, Bailey wants death." she lays the ball on her stomach, balancing it nonchalantly. "The usual. Except I doubt they'll be doing much sightseeing,"

"Why would you think that?"

"Remember when Bailey had that talk, with April?" she asks. I nod, remembering how mine with Calum's client and Michael's girlfriend went; apparently much smoother than Bailey's did with April. "Well, she wasn't too happy about it."

"Explain?" I put all of the things I'm holding away, before sitting down next to her with confusion on my face.

"She doesn't want the break," Ashley replies simply. I can't help but look back at her, stunned.

"But that's not her decision," I state.

"No, it's not," Ashley agrees. "But they both signed a contract, just like you and Luke did. They're entitled the time together, apparently,"

I fold my arms, a little irritated. "So? The contract doesn't mean anything,"

"Well-"

"Michael made the contract," I interrupt, still in disbelief. "He can reverse it."

"But he can't do anything once it's signed," Ashley says, standing up to follow me out of the room. "And April signed it like, two years ago. The longer the time, the stronger the commitment."

"That's stupid." I scowl.

"Why are you even getting so worked up about this?" Ashley nudges me, and it's all I can do not to nudge her back twice as hard. "Are you worried that you won't get to flaunt your fake-fiancé in front of your even faker sister?"

"No," I say defensively, reaching into the fridge for a pitcher of something cold. "I'm just... annoyed, that's all. And I'm wondering why April can't take a hint."

"So am I," a voice says, coming in from the terrace. I divert my gaze, relaxing once it lands on Bailey. "I threatened her with a machete and everything."

"You what?"

"I said, I talked politely to her and everything." Bailey corrects herself, looking away from me as she reaches for an apple. Sinking her teeth deep into it, she glances at Ashley. "I assume you told her about Luke and April?"

"Yep."

"Be honest, Soph," Bailey starts, leaning against the counter to look me in the eye. "On a scale of seven to thirty-five, how jealous are you right now?"