24. the one where he got her wet.

chapter twenty-four:
the one where he got her wet.

"Jesus, what took you so long?" Chloe asks, frowning ever so slightly as she helps the boys out with the luggage from the back. Luke hops out of the pick up, slamming the car door in a haste to catch the suitcase Calum lets fall to the floor.

"I'm guessing, the second coming." Michael jokes. Everyone grunts at his terrible humour, including me.

Making my way towards her, I close my side of the truck. "We got stuck in traffic." I say, simply.

"Traffic? All of the highways have practically been cleared today, Soph." Ashton notes, whizzing past us on a luggage cart.

"We went a different way." Luke calls, hauling one of Bailey's heavier cases on top of it.

"Yeah. A way with traffic," I add.

"Lots of traffic."

"So much traffic,"

"We got stuck on the edge of the freeway," he adds even more.

"Yeah. Stuck." I echo.

"So we figured fuck it, and we moved the seat back," Luke continues, an unfazed expression on his face as everyone pauses to listen. Even Michael, who's supposed to be helping him unload the back, stops.

"You moved the seat back? Why?"

"More leg room," I reply quickly.

"Soph, no offence, but why would you need leg room? You're tiny." Calum says.

"Yeah, well, I was feeling claustrophobic," I excuse myself.

"I see."

"I see, too. It is Christmas." Michael says knowingly, a slow nod of his head accompanying his words. We're left to stare utterly dumbfounded at him, waiting to point out each and every thing wrong with his statement, but in the end we chose not to.

Chloe's the one to usher us all inside the aiport, and Ashton's in charge of handong us all our individual passports. "Don't wander too far," he warns us, as if we're kids on a class field trip. "I don't want to have to blow my whistle."

"You have a whistle?" I ask, amused, walking past him and swiftly taking the little book.

"Yes."

"Really?"

"No. But it makes me sound like a sensible parent, doesn't it?" he asks me giddily, and I just laugh as I follow our small crowd into the detection section of the airport.

"You wearing any chain, Hayes?" Calum asks me, taking his own dogtag necklace off and dumping it into the brown plastic tray. He does the same with his shoes, the belt hooked through his jeans, and the rings around his pointer finger.

I shake my head, patting myself down and sliding my shoes off. Most of the things I wear are dresses and skirts, anyway. "Nope."

"Then go before me, this might take a while." he chuckles, and I smile gratefully at him as I walk past.

"Hey, if a person with a gold tooth walked through here, would they get arrested?" a voice sounds, and from the curiosity laced within her tone, I can tell it's Bailey. "I'm just wondering. Does that count as a metal weapon if they can bite me with it? Because your stick thing is already beeping and I haven't even got any metal on."

The older woman doesn't reply, instead chosing to ignore my friend's question and dismiss her altogether. I'm both amused and in awe of how quick it takes Bailey to get on somebody's nerves, and as I walk into the large metal detector, she shoots me a thumbs up.