Chapter 3: Finding Answers

Dean was just getting out of the shower, the muscles in his arms, shoulders and back sore from pounding away at a punching bag, lifting weights and bench pressing a little more than his weight. The only thing that could keep his mind from flashing back to memories of how his father had treated him was to make himself sweat. Between each punch, Dean would swear he was nothing like his father. With each lift of the weights, he would promise to himself that what he did for Ben was the best thing. After each bench press, he would grunt out how leaving Ben out of the Hunter's lifestyle wasn't him abandoning him. It was almost three hours since his fight with Castiel and he was worn out. All he wanted was a hot shower and a cold beer. Part one of his plan was done. He didn't know how he would execute part two without running into his mom, brother or boyfriend.

He walked into his bedroom to see that the room was still empty. He was very thankful for this. He still didn't want to talk to anyone. As he got dressed in a pair of boxers, black pajama bottoms with the AC/DC logo on them and a plain black, v-neck -t-shirt that clung to his well defined muscles across his shoulders, down his arms and chest, he ran a hand through his hair, spiking it up at the front. He sat down on the bed, contemplating just going to bed, but it was far to early for him, as he was used to falling asleep well past midnight and it was barely 11. He looked down at his bare feet and wiggled his toes, trying to think how he could apologize to Castiel. In a way, he felt he owed Ben more of an apology than Cass. He rubbed the back of his neck, his arms protesting slightly with the movement. Maybe he overdid it working out tonight.

Before he could think anymore, a light knock came at his cracked door. He sighed loudly and looked up to see his mom walking in, carrying a bottle of beer and a slice of peach pie. He couldn't help but smile. The woman may have just come back from the grave only a few short months ago, but she was already learning her sons so well.

"Can I come in?" she gently asked, peaking her head in the door.

"Yeah, I'm decent," Dean said, watching her small frame walk into the room.

Since Mary Winchester was brought back from the grave by Chuck, the Winchesters were still getting sued to one another. It took Mary longer than her boys since she wanted to baby them. Sam was the most difficult for her since she never really got to know him before she died. She was rather proud of herself with the progress she had made with them thus far. She was even able to accept the fact that her eldest was bi-sexual and very involved with an angel. What she still had problems accepting was her age. She should be in her sixties, but her body showed she was barely older than her boys.

She continued to smile and looked over her troubled eldest. She was beginning to learn that Dean had an awful temper, very much like his father's. He also mostly resembled John, however he had her softer facial features. As she looked him over, her heart ached with the thought of continuing to live without John. The boys may have adjusted to it, knowing there was always going to be a time when he wouldn't be around, but Mary was also struggling with that, but that was something she would never tell them. John seemed to have left a sour taste in their mouths before he died.

Dean sighed loudly and watched the plate of pie coming towards him. he reached out and took it as Mary set the beer down on the desk, pulling the chair out to sit across from him. Dean took a bit as she asked, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

Dean finished his bite, smiling at the sweet taste of the peaches and fluffy crust. He took a sip of the beer, the bitterness mixing well with the sweetness and then cleared his throat. He blushed when his eyes met his mom's, realizing she was watching his intimate moment with one of his loves. Clearing his throat and licking at his lips, he bluntly replied, "Talk 'bout how much of an ass I am? I'm sure Cass filled ya in on that one."