Chapter 4: Into the Woods

Ben felt his mouth open a little as he looked between Jody and Claire. He wasn't sure which one to respond to first. Had Claire just basically confirmed that this Dean Winchester had been a part of his life? Why didn't he remember Dean? Why did Claire seem to know more about him than he did?

"Ben?" Jody asked, gently placing her hand on his shoulder. This caused him to jump a little, which didn't help his already racing heart.

"I uh, think I need a smoke," he whispered and slowly stood up. He wasn't sure if his legs were going to support him, but he made out the front door with little protest from his body.

He walked over to his truck so he was far enough away from the house that his smoke wouldn't waft inside. Pulling the crushed pack of cigarettes from his back pocket, he pulled one out and then pulled out a sliver zippo lighter he had found in the box of Dean's things and lit up. After a few shaky drags, he could feel his nerves calming. After the third puff, he was able to open his eyes that he hadn't realized he shut and look down at the scuffed toe of his boot. As he continued to slowly smoke, he heard the door open and close and a pair of boots crunching gravel. Wanting to be alone for a few more minutes, he sighed and looked up to see Claire walking towards him, her wavy blonde hair bouncing, along with her chest, with each step she took.

"Gimme one?" she asked, looking at the smoking cigarette in his mouth.

Without really thinking, grabbed the pack that he had set on the hood of the truck and extended it towards her. When she reached out and took it, their hands touched for a second time and he found himself taking longer than he should have to pull away. Even though he was still a little freaked out, something about her was intriguing to him.

Claire took one of the cigarettes and put it between her rose pink lips. Ben flicked open the zippo, letting the flame flicker a moment before he extended it towards her. She leaned into his movement and waited to pull back until it was lit. Ben watched her as she closed her eyes and took a slow drag, the corners of her small mouth pulling up in a smile. He liked that smile. He wanted to see more of that smile. If he had to stick around for a couple of days, that would be fine with him, as long as he could see more of that smile.

Claire opened her eyes and pulled the cigarette out of her mouth, pinching it between her two fingers, and looked at the smoking end. "Thanks. I haven't had one in a few days. Been tryin' to quit, but what the hell. Free is free," she said in a matter-of-fact tone and leaned against the truck beside him, their arms brushing together.

Ben just shrugged, feeling her bare arm against his, making the hairs on his arm stand on end. After a few more drags, he finally asked as calmly as he could, "So, I'm supposed to stay here till my da-Dean gets here?"

Claire looked up at him, noticing there was at least a foot in height difference and shrugged her shoulders, "I mean, ya can if ya want. Knowin' how fast Dean drives, he'll be here in a few hours. I'm sure he's panickin' just as much as you."

"Well, that's good to know," Ben mumbled, the half-smoked cigarette bobbing on his lips with each word.

"So, I can think of a few ways to pass the time," she said, raising her eyebrow and smiling.

Ben raised his brow is return and cocked his head to the side, feeling more and more comfortable with her, he chided "Oh yeah? I'm not sure I'm ready to let an older lady take advantage of a helpless bastard."

Claire shook her head and looked away from him, snuffing her cigarette out on the tire of the truck and grabbed his hand. He looked down at their entwined hands and felt all the blood rush to his face. It had been awhile since he'd had any human contact other than his mother. Before he could protest, she was pulling him away from the cabin and into the woods.