02 | Dani

It's hard to open my eyes at first. I feel like someone's glued them together.

So I try again. Slowly this time.

My head hurts. A lot. A fucking lot.

The bright light of the room is almost blinding. The beeping of machines notifies me to the fact that I'm in some hospital room.

Shit. I didn't fight with anyone, did I? 

Or maybe I had an accident. 

It's frustrating to not remember. 

The antiseptic smell makes my insides twist. Anything but white, I'm wishing. I hate white.

A nurse comes in and smiles at me. She's pretty hot - tall and blonde and everything, but he smile only indicates politeness.

"Hi, Daniel." She says. "I'm glad you're awake. You've been slipping in and out of consciousness for the last forty-eight hours."

I try to sit up in bed. There's a heart monitor to my right, and a little table on the left which matches the color of the couch in the corner. 

That's about it, except for all the wires and IV fluid attached in me.

A burly man in his mid fourties crosses into my room, and a male nurse follows him.

"Good morning." Says the doctor. "How are you feeling?"

Oh, fuck. How long had I been out? Ma must be worried sick about me. 

"I'm okay." I lie.

I close my eyes as I try to remember. I did get in a fight last night, but it wasn't as horrible. Something crashed into me. A car, maybe?

I don't know.

"Look, I need to go!" I say. "My mother, she's--"

"She's here." He tells me. "She's happy you're awake."

I bite my lower lip. I'm getting in so much trouble. She's probably gonna take away my car.

My car.

"What do you last remember?" He asks.

"I don't." I tell him. "Perhaps an accident? I remember hitting my head, although I can't remember why. A car...?"

The doctor nods and scribbles down something in his notepad.

"Can you please tell me your name and your date of birth, please?"

I do, but I don't get why he's asking. All the information was in my wallet, which is in no doubt their possession. Including my clothes.

I glace down at my blue hospital pajamas. What the hell are these? I probably look like a frigging smurf on drugs.

The door opens, and 'ma walks in. Behind her is Nate, and another girl, perhaps a nurse.

As 'ma rushes towards me, I remember she's still sick. "Woah, calm down. You shouldn't be rushing around like that." When she tilts her head, I explain, "It's bad for you, remember? Any sudden movements?"

My mother purses her lips - something she does often.

I look at Nate, who's staring at me like I've grown two heads. I remember the last conversation I had with him, and say, "You owe me thirty bucks."

He laughs a little, but I can't tell whether it's genuine or not. Poor brother. He looks so scared.

Behind him is the girl who came in before. She's pretty - wild, chestnut hair and big brown eyes, but I don't understand why she's staring at me.