32

"She won't talk to me." Nate sighs dramatically and flops onto the couch right in the middle of Dani and I.

We both throw him a dirty look and edge apart to make space.

"You said you had food, Bro." Said Dani.

Nate scowled at him. "I'll give you dinner when you help me with my problem."

"What a terrible brother you are." Dani muttered.

Nate crossed his arms. Whilst his shirt was damp, he didn't look at all harmed by the rain.

"The only remotely good idea I have is to fight for custody."

That sentence perks me up. With widened eyes, I'm aghast. "What?!" I hiss. "No! That's not the road you want to take, trust me."

Nate turns to me with sombre eyes. "I miss my child, Valencia."

Feeling truly sorry for Nate, I place a hand on his shoulder. "We'll figure something out."

He slowly nods and gets up. "I'm heading to bed. I'm tired."

"What about dinner?" Dani asks.

I immediately shove him in the ribs, causing him to groan.

"By the counter." Nate calls.

When he's gone, I glare at Dani.

He chooses to ignore me and heads over to the kitchen, where the aroma of freshly baked bread and spices is wafting from bags placed on the counter. 

He opens the bag and grabs two plates and spoons. A few seconds later, I have a large plate of rice sitting in front of me.

"Why won't Gabriella listen?" Asks Dani in between mouthfuls.  "She's stubborn and all, but surely--"

"We just have to remind her of what's at risk." I cut him off. I grab a glass off the rack and pour some water, gulping it down quickly.

"Which is..?"

"Mason's well-being." I say. "Everyone knows arguments between parents tend to affect their children."

"Yeah, but that hasn't worked so far."

"We just need to get them in a room together, away from everyone else."

The corner of his mouth lifts upwards. "I see where you're going with this." He says. "I could text Gabriella from ma's phone or something, asking her to come over the same time Nate's at home."

I nod, but then realise something. It makes me chew on my lip nervously. "Let's just hope she doesn't leave without hearing him out."

"She loves him." He states bluntly, as if that was an answer enough. 

"Right."

I finish my plate of fried rice and place the empty plate in the sink. I wash my hands then tie my hair into a loose ponytail.

The rain has mostly stopped. There's still a slight drizzle, but the worst of it has cleared up.

"Well, I better get going." I say, making my way to the front door already. It was almost nine and I want to get a good night's rest before heading to mom's place tomorrow. 

The thought alone makes my stomach churn.

Dani follows me as I unlock the front door and step outside. 

"Or we could finish what we started." he suddenly says.  

Frowning, I turn around. What on Earth was he talking about?