22

My phone rings, it's shrill sound piercing through the silence.

"Damn." Says Dani. "Who is that?"

We're currently in the hotel lobby, just heading up to our rooms. We lost track of time - it's already midnight.

I check the caller ID. "Gabriella." I frown.

"Hey, Gabi." I say after picking up. "What's up?"

"VALENCIA!" Her voice fills my ear. I hold the phone away, and Dani stares at me curiously.

"Gabriella, it's the middle of the night." I say slowly. "What's wrong?"

She takes a shaky breath. "I want you to come and live with me tomorrow."

"Huh?!"

A couple of people pass by, and Dani and I move to one side.

"Come over. Tomorrow." She repeats.

"Gabi, you know that's not possible." I tell her. "Dani and I are going back to our town in the morning."

"Delay it." She says. "Please. I can't handle my parents alone. They're just too much. And I would feel better with you there, and so would Mason. I know it."

I look up at Dani but his face is expressionless. "What about Dani?"

"I can stay at the hotel. No problem." He says. 

I sigh into the phone. "Am I expected to wear a dress?"

"Classic informal will do." She says, and she sounds immediately cheered up. "No sweatpants though. I'll send over the driver tomorrow."

"Actually, I'll just get the hotel staff to drop me. Send me the location later, okay?"

"Okay. Goodnight, Val."

"Night."

I end the call and shove the phone in my pocket.

"You promised you would call Nate." I say to Dani. We resume our walk down the corridor.

"I tried. He didn't pick up."

What was that guy doing with his life? Why did he keep driving away the people he loved?

My right hand grips my other arm. Another few steps, and we're at my room.

"I'll see you before you leave." He says. His hand reaches up to touch my cheek, but it's like he stop himself the very last moment. 

I turn around. It's already too awkward. "Goodnight, Dani."I say.

And before he can reply, I push myself in and close the door.

I'm tired of pretending like my emotions don't matter - like there's any justification that goes against my actions, or my thoughts.

I simply want him to love me like he used to.

I kick off my shoes and flop on the bed. Guess that's harder that I thought it would be.