24

"I didn't expect to stay

"I didn't expect to stay."

"I'm telling you to."

"Who are you, my dad?"

"If you wanna call me that, I'm fine with it."

A wink, a groan and a shove.

Then a chuckle.

"I barely know you." I huff. "And it's already nine. I'm going to sleep."

"Wow, way to live life at it's fullest." Zach crosses his arms, attempting to mock me.

I lean next to the counter. Mr and Mrs. Philips had retreated to the dining area with some friends, leaving us 'youngsters' to do whatever we want except to disturb them.

The microwave chimes, which means my dinner's ready. I come to get it, but Zach beats me to it.

"Here you go." He says, handing me the plate of ravioli.

"Spoon?" I ask, eyeing the rack behind him.

"That you'll have to get yourself." He says. "Unless you promise to come to a party with me in..." he glances at the clock. "An hour."

"For a spoon?" I ask dryly.

"Use it as an excuse." He shrugs.

I mutter something unintelligible before shoving my elbow at him. Hard.

It works.

He gasps for air. "Wow, I don't think I've been hit this hard by a girl before. Are you sure you're not a domina--"

I slap my hand on his mouth before he can finish the sentence. He narrows his eyes and pulls his face back.

"Still want me to come to that party?" I hiss.

"Totally."

I throw him a glare before grabbing a spoon and sitting down on one of the bar stools. I didn't know whether to leave or to sit and argue with him - both were pretty pointless.

"You're not having dinner?" I ask him.

"Nah, gets in the way of alcohol." He says. He grabs the stool right next to mine and sits down, and I edge myself away.

"Why are you here then?"

He shrugs. "Is it hard to believe I enjoy your company?"

"We literally just met."

I dig into my food and immediately want to stop. These people looked like they had tigers on gold leashes yet nothing remained in the refrigerator except frozen take-outs.

"Where's Mason?" He asks.

"With Gabriella, I think."

Zach smiles. "She's pretty excited to show him all her stuff. Never mind the fact that he's barely three years old."